ordering tomorrow

Decadence

ok, well tomorrow the prices on amd processors is supposed to go down and i have been waiting for over a month to finally order it so im very anxious to get so i want all you guys to approve everything before i go ahead and buy it so here we go:
MOBO: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor
GPU:
XFX PV-T71G-UCE7 Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

RAM: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
HDD(x2 RAID0): Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Drive:
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 1.5M Cache ATAPI/E-IDE Combo Drive

Monitor: BenQ FP93GX Black 19" 2ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch
So what does everyone think? I hope to be ordering it tomorrow, so could you all please tell me if everything is compatible and worth the money? Im not completely sure if the monitor is the right one to choose but i hope it is. Any feedback is welcome so please give me your 2 cents...thanks a bunch

Geoff

VIP Member
Looks good, but I would go with a DVD Burner since it's only a few dollars more.

And the prices on Newegg probably wont come down for a few days. I'd be suprised if they had the Core 2 Duo out tomorrow.

PC eye

banned
It seems like you have been doing some homework. Although I'm a little skeptical right off on the new model AM2 board Asus holds a good name. You certainly wanted premium brand memory there. A good high end video card along with a drive I'm very familiar with. The BenQ lcd was one I looked over a few months back with the 2ms response time. The 4200+ X2 is a good model cpu and recommended in one of the stickys here. And the Lite-On has a good name for burners. My old Linux drive currently in another case was a WD Cavier 120gb. That was a good little work horse there.

Geoff

VIP Member
PC eye said:
OUCH! on the psu there with a 20/4pin instead of 24/4pin connection. I recently had to toss a TP II 430w model for that reason. Take a look at the specs again to see "Features Power Pin 24 Pin" at the bottom of the page! An Antec TP II 550w supply for $90 will work if you don't find another OCZ model. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931
A power supply with a 20+/-4 pin means it can be used in either 20 or 24-pin motherboards. In addition to the 20/24 pin connector, they come with another 4-pin plug for the CPU. A 20+/-4 Pin power supply will work in any type of new or old desktop motherboard.

BTW, the PSU that you linked to is also a 20+/-4 Pin.

Geoff

VIP Member
Decadence said:
so i don't need to make a change to the psu?
This power supply should work fine in your setup. You should double check and make sure of the amps, since it doesn't list them on Newegg.

agapetos

I bought that mobo, and my memory works perfect. But some have talked about some conpability issues. Look at my specs below....that memory I know works.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-] said:
A power supply with a 20+/-4 pin means it can be used in either 20 or 24-pin motherboards. In addition to the 20/24 pin connector, they come with another 4-pin plug for the CPU. A 20+/-4 Pin power supply will work in any type of new or old desktop motherboard.

BTW, the PSU that you linked to is also a 20+/-4 Pin.

Oh really? The 20/4pin would not work on a new board here. A revised version of the TP II 550w model as well as the 480w revised model bought locally saw the board work. The four wire plug goes in near the cpu socket for the additional 12v feed there. The specifications clearly seen at newegg state 24pin connector needed. Look for yourself. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131013 :rolleyes

"Internal I/O Connectors
1 x Floppy disk drive connector
1 x IDE connector for two devices
7 x SATA connectors
1 x CPU / 4 x Chassis / 1 x Power Fan connectors
1 x ADH connector
1 x IEEE1394a connector
1 x Parallel connector
Chassis Intrusion connector
Front Panel Audio connector
1x S/PDIF output connector
CD audio in
24-pin ATX Power connector
System panel connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector" http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1160&l1=3&l2=101&l3=0

Last edited:

Decadence

you guys are confusing me with all this. so do i need to change psu or not?
Also, i read on some other message board that the mobo maxes out at 1.95V and the memory that i chose is 2.1V
Can anyone clarify this for me? thanks again for all your fast responses

PC eye

banned
Decadence said:
you guys are confusing me with all this. so do i need to change psu or not?
Also, i read on some other message board that the mobo maxes out at 1.95V and the memory that i chose is 2.1V
Can anyone clarify this for me? thanks again for all your fast responses

There are no problems seen with the other hardwares. But you will need the BTX 24pin connector on that or most other new boards. The Asus A8N SLI nForce 4 model board wouldn't on the 20/4pin supply when tried even when moving the connector over. On some older boards there was a 20 to 24 adapter for this. The OCZ models seen at the manufacturer's site in the product details do show models with both connectors under "24pin(BTX) 20pin(ATX)". Newegg probably only lists part of the information there for atx use. http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/PSUSpec.pdf

Decadence

ok, i still don't know what to do about the psu, but what about the ram?
Also, I was considering going with a widescreen lcd....think i should? Itll be used for gaming and other internet related stuff so do you think the widescreen will stretch everything up to a point where a regular screen would be a better choice?

P.S.- I don't even need a DVD burner because i have absolutely no need to burn DVD's, i dont even have a camera

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Decadence said:
P.S.- I don't even need a DVD burner because i have absolutely no need to burn DVD's, i dont even have a camera
You dont need to have a camera to burn DVD's. You may not have a need for it now, but it's alot easier to backup documents on a 4.7GB DVD then a 700MB CD. There are also times when you may want to in the future, and for only a few bucks more why wouldnt you get it?

Decadence

oh...i understand, ill try and find another
does having the dvd burner option take away from the read speeds on CD-ROM disks?

Last edited: