Overclocked P4 2.4 no internet

Soloman316

Ok guys, my problem is this: I recently overclocked my P4 2.4 to a speed of 3.2ghz. When I did this, I had no internet. I run through a dsl/cable modem setup. I backed off of the overclock, and my internet did not return until i was back at the original 2.4 clock speed. What did I do wrong? Or what do I have to do to regain this? My ethernet card is a pci card, not on-board. I'd really like to have this thing running at 3.2 again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mad monkey

i dont no if this is the problem, but if you were overclocking the Front Side Bus, then it also overclocks your PCI and AGP slots because they are connected to the FSB via the North and South Bridges. Thus any expansion cards you have in these slots will be overclocked as well, and if my idea is right, your ethernet/modem cards couldnt cope with being overclocked. Try locking the AGP and PCI bus speeds if you are able to on your motherboard, otherwise, try the onboard internet if you have the option.

Charlieb000

If your using an ethernet card to use your internet try a different brand or try one from a reputable company such as 3com or Dlink, realtek seem to be the popular brand in cheap NICs (network interface cards)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I run through a dsl/cable modem setup. I backed off of the overclock, and my internet did not return until I was back at the original 2.4 clock speed. What did I do wrong?
Did you have to either directly or indirectly adjust the PCI clock speed? PCI is a very finicky spec and doesnt like deviating far from its natural 33Mhz. Also, even if the slot works fine... the actual card may not be able to tolerate that kind of non-standard frequency

:)