P4 520 LGA775 Cooling Issues!

jpapa

P4 520 LGA775 Cooling Issues!

Sorry for the multiple posts in diff. categories, but I'm concerned with the temperatures my newly assembled system is running at. I just want some feedback on other people's normal running temps and if they think if anything is wrong with mine.

My cpu zone temp is around 50celsius (+-2) without any load. Sometimes it stays around 45, but not for too long. When I am playing games (doom3, CS, etc.) my cpu runs at 59-62celsius. I don't really like how high this is, at load or at no load. I just used InterVideo WinDVD Creator to compose a series of video clips, and my computer was running at 66-67celsius & 100% load! :eek: :eek: This scared me...I am running Intel Desktop Control Center to monitor temps and fan speeds. Zone A & B run at 37celsius (A) and 43celsius (B).

If someone has run into these same issues or heard about them and knows how to cool down any parts pretty efficiently, please, PLEASE, let me know. I know that P4s run hot, but I didn't think this hot. I'm considering water cooling...but don't want to dish out the cash for that yet. I just don't want to burn up my cpu so quick. I'm also thinking that maybe my fans aren't running at full potential (speeds/sizes below). If anyone thinks they should be running faster, lemme know too. I'm using the stock heatsink, which I know doesn't help run the cpu cooler, but there's not too many LGA775 heatsinks on the market yet.

My system is P4 520 (2.8ghz lga775) on an Intel board (arctic silver compound between cpu & HS), X600XT/HDTV graphics (PCI-E), 512mb Corsair, Aspire Infinity-X Case, 520W PS, and stock heatsink (because there's only a couple LGA775 HS's out...)

Fan Setup: 2 blowing into case from front (2x80mm-2500rpm), 1 blowing out from top (80mm-2500rpm), 1 blowing out from back (120mm-2300rpm), and 1 blowing into from side window (80mm-2500rpm). HS fan spins @ 3500rpm even at full load.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback. Thanks a lot! :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Its higher than i persoanlly woudl like but two things to consider:
1. Its not at the panic temp yet (70ºC)
2. You're running a Prescott so the temps are fiarly normal :)

superflysmith

I'm also running in the 60's but I'll be getting the Thermaltake Tower 112 heatsink, hopefully that'll drop the temps for me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well the heatsink is a solid one and works superbly i cant vouch for any configuration other than dual Volcano fans :p although i would expect it to be quite stellar :)