Partition problems

Northwings

OKay I was using partition magic, I guess I did something wrong, I just went to delete a partion and than install a OS (windows) on it, but now I go to the windows setup, and I go to the "unpartitioned space" and when I go to install it says

"To install windows on the partition you selected, setup must write some startup files o the following disk: (disk size)

However, this disk does not cotain a windows-compatible partition.
To conitnue installing windows return to the partition selection screend a create a windows-capatible partition on the desk above, if there is no free space on teh disk, delete n existing partition then create a new one.

To return to the partition selection screen, pres ENTER"

Well created a partion thru the windows setup and it just says C: partition1 [unknown] and when I click on it it just gives me the same message that I just wrote

I'm pretty stumped, I have all my music on my D: partition, and I don't want to loose that, I ave two unpartitioned spaces that give me that message.

IS there a simple way to just change this unpartitioned space to a "windows compadable" partition ?

PC eye

banned
You apparently left unpartitioned space at the beginning of the drive there. The installer is now seeing the D partition as "C: partition 1" since that is the one partition already created and formatted. The installer is asking whether you want Windows installed there or to create a new primary partition.

One partitioning tool that has been effective for creating as well as resizing existing drive partitions is called GParted(Gnome Partition Editor). The Linux partitioning tool detects the total amount of free unpartitioned drive space as well as the current D you are trying to save. If the D partition was moved you can move it back to the secondary or resize and create a new primary. The Windows installer will then detect a new primary and format that when you go to install Windows there.

If you have a cd writer you can download GParted Live for cd at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php as well as read over the docs there. You first have to download and burn the iso image to disk and boot from this. The desktop like gui will have a dropdown menu for the drives/partitions detected and options to create the new primary needed for Windows to go on. If it detects empty space at the back of the drive you can move the existing partition towards the back of the drive then(takes forever) or resize it to include that in the D partition. Then you simply use the remaining space for the primary. The XP installer will then detect it and format it to copy the installation files onto. When loading it simply keep pressing the enter key until you see the option to change from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 screen resolution.

Simpy press enter to leave it at 1024x768 to see the next screen become the gui. It is used here for multiple OSs as well as multiple partitions on more then one drive. When going to create the new primary the type of partition(NTFS) is the one to choose.