PC in my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomav6

looking to build a PC for my truck, I've built pretty much every PC I've owned and I've already got the screen picked out its a touchscreen so no need for a keyboard or mouse. So does anyone have any tips (I want everything to be hidden) for now Im going to keep the stock CD player because all my money is going to this project the monitor I picked out has a speaker on the back so that will supply the sound for now, until I can save up to get another cd player with a aux input, this computer for now is going to be used for DVD, MP3'S and when I get some extra money a GPS, so it doesnt need top of the line parts but I also want it to run smoothly, I also plan on running XP on it. I guess my main question would be whats the smallest power supply that I could get away with, but Im also looking for all other tips.
thanks

nomav6

its going to take awhile to get everything the way I want, so its going to be an on going project, will post some info. on what kinds of problems or whatever I run into while building it, will also post pics on the net somewere and give you the link. hopefully by the end of next week I'll have a case built or some kind of progress lol.

Fure6

So are you planning on having a tower or just install everthing under/into the dash or somthing? yea, i think it would be a sweet project too! If i had the ching ching i would probably do it to.

Just stick the power supply into the glove box. the truck glove boxes are pretty big anyways.

nomav6

at first Im going to try to build a case myself and hide it somewheres inside the truck, its a crew cab so hiding the case shouldnt be to hard. as for having the ching ching, it seems the only thing thats going to cost a lot is the monitor the rest of the pieces are going to be hand-me-downs hehe atleast for now, then I can upgrade it as I go, so far I haven't spent a dime and I have a HDD and powersupply :)

Fure6

It probably has...cops have pc's in their cars, so i'm sure they have put them in the cop trucks/SUV's.

nomav6

theres a company (forgot the name of it) but they make computers that fit were your cd player is, its called carputer I think or something like that, but I want to make my own, Im going to try to have it in the console and have the dvd drive open out were the cd holder is right now. so everything will be hiden except for the monitor of course.

Jimbob1989

banned
I'm thinking of that simpsons now where homer enters an eating competition and his opponent dies, Homer takes his truck as he feels he should finish the job. He falls asleep at the wheel and the truck drives it self. That is going to be usefull if a trucker is going to be looking at a computer screen with a built in dvd player.

Jimbob

nomav6

dont worry Im not going to be watching the DVD's as Im driving, its realy all just for fun and to try and push tech. as far as you can without buying the pre-built stuff, plus who ever is riding with me will have the choice to watch movies, play games, ect... also once I start learning more about GPS systems it would come in handy.

NGalaxyTimmyo

I'm working on it now. So far everything has been going great. I'm using a laptop for mine, a gateway m275 tablet. I have a flexable mount that will have the screen on it (removable easily of course) and I have a front loading dvd rom drive, along with on switches for both the cpu and the monitor. Everything else is pretty much in the trunk, with extra cooling of course. Pretty much all I'm waiting on now is a custom cable I'm working on getting for the screen. I already ruined a cable, so I need another way to do it. I'll post pictures when it's done. I expect christmas at the latest. Oh yea, I need to get my car too. 06 Chevy Cobalt SS. Should have been built last week, so not too much longer befor I get it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Fure6 said:
It probably has...cops have pc's in their cars, so i'm sure they have put them in the cop trucks/SUV's.

its called a laptop

I was actually thinking of putting my PC in my car, although in order to run a pc, your obviously going to need a power inverter, i would get one thats at least 500watts. And if you have all the parts scattered all over your truck, they will most likely overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.