please help me with networking?

histrix

Hello people, I need some help, I have a laptop and a desktop PC, I want to setup a wireless network, Im not sure though quite how it works, I assume I will need to get a PCMCIA card for the laptop, I was looking at the following; Belkin I hear the 'g' is the latest format, anyway, what I dont get is does this talk to both a wireless router, external, plugged into your broadband modem then PC and allow you to access the net when your main PC is switched off and allow you to access the net when your main PC is on and file transfer?? AND does it talk to a wireless PCI card in your main PC when its switched on and allow you to access the net and file transfer?? ideally I would like to be able to file transfer and access the net wireless via my laptop but also not have to have my main PC turned on (unless I want to file transfer or do something else on it) does any of that make sense and can someone help explain and suggest suitable products??? please help many thanks

HotRodderx

hope this helps what would happen is that you broadband modem would hook into the wirless router (wirless router is like a pc it has a processor and can think for its self) the wirless router can then be used to access the internet thought either computer regardless if one is on or off if the desk top is off the internet will still work the only time it will not work is to transfer files to a turned off computer.... as far as brand goes i preferr simens or dlink i currently have 7port dlink wired router but i am sure any of there router will work will also if you dont liek dlink might wanna look at linksy ommm belkin is ok my buddie has one but i really dont care for it to much it not very big and fells kinda cheap made some thing to keep in mind when getting a wirless connection is to make sure it offers some kinda firewall and wep protection other wise everone on you block is going to love you a good site to get parts and its a lot cheaper then i must say best buy circuit city is Newegg.com you might wanna give them a look hope this helps answer some of your question

ps if its a aol broad get a linksy or netgear router the rest can be configured but it can be a pain some times :D

histrix

That newegg is a american site, you guys mostly american or u just buy from American sites? thought some didnt ship to UK?
Thanks for the reply, dont have AOL thank goodness!
Will read what you put again slowly and see if I can make sense of what I want!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Histrix:
You "use" the router as follows:
Route A
1. Buy a WIRED (only) router
2. Buy a WIRELESS ACCESS POINT
3. Buy highspeed internet
4. Connect the highspeed modem to the jack in the wall
5. Connect the modem to the "WAN" port on the ROUTER (usually the jack at the bottom/right)
6. Connect the WIRELESS ACCESS POINT to any other jack on the ROUTER
7. Connect wired PCs to remaning ports on ROUTER, the wireless devices will interface with WAP

Route B
1. Buy a WIRELESS ROUTER
2. Buy highspeed internet
3. Connect the highspeed modem to the jack in the wall
4. Connect the modem to the "WAN" port on the ROUTER (usually the jack at the bottom/right)
5. Connect wired PCs to remaning ports on ROUTER, the wireless devices will interface with WAP