POLL : The worse Microsoft OS ever made....

Which is the worse ever OS?

• Total voters

Drastik

Dont just says 95 because its the oldest, whats is your experience with the os's? good or bad?

I have to go with M.E because it was a cheap, rushed, over hyped, os which only perpose was to bring in sales because of its name, since it came out just before the new millenium.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
DOS. It's the mistake that bill built unstable shells on top of, (Win95/98/me) and has taken him years to completely get out of production, and producing nos DOS os's (WinNT/2k/XP).

Drastik

You know what i mean... os's that look like todays os's...

Get with the times, smart asses lol

Drastik

Byteman said:
DOS. It's the mistake that bill built unstable shells on top of, (Win95/98/me) and has taken him years to completely get out of production, and producing nos DOS os's (WinNT/2k/XP).

Whats the difference between a os with or without dos as its building blocks?

Drastik

atomic said:
Define what looks like todays?
:D

WINDOWS 1.0

95-xp all have the same sort of look, a desktop and a taskbar. 1.0 doesnt have that since its just a series of windows.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
tested uptimes for win9x vs. NT kernel based machines are drastic! the NT based machines also don't handle memory the same way, programs running in win9x share memory so when an app throws an error it usually screws everything else up. NT based machines allocate memory seperately as much a possible so when an app locks up the effects on the rest of the system are not as damaging as with 9x.

ack

Windows ME is terrible. The kernel has lots of errors and the OS is very susceptible to exploits.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Question: Is that Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition?
Also: Are we talking initial release or after patches and service packs?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
My first decent PC came with windows ME... it ran ok for about 3 weeks and after that random crashes and general sluggishness ruined it completely.
It got so bad i bought windows 2000 off my mates dad... much more reliable :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
DOS ... no protection at all hehe ... nothing like freely corruptable everything

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But a good chunk of that is not because Microsoft programmers are incompetent (if you think so, sit down and have a chat with someone on their compiler team and if yer smart enough to realize it, you'll be humbled). There are three main reasons why Microsoft operating systems "suck"
  1. Backwards compatability. For the most part, we can use any given program made for an older OS on a newer OS. While this is being gradually phased out (started a bit with 2000, more so with XP/2003 and definitively so with Windows 6.x), having to support older application calls results in a good chunk of problems. Why?

Just think of all the stupidities of programming with PDBs back in Dos/W9x days -- those still need to be supported because people still use those applications from time to time. Or even approaches to something to "normal" as IPC/Multitasking. Current revisions of Windows need to support older methods and while the beauty of DLLs has gone a long way to support this, it also forces the OS to suffer through a lot of baggage

The obvious solution is.... get rid of backwards compatability! Sure. But thats one of the big reasons "we all hate Macs". When Macs come out with a new something -- its not exactly what we'd consider backwards compatible. v6.x of Windows should make good progress in this direction but the fact of the matter is, people dont want to lose backwards compatability but they also dont want the bugginess that came with the programs written back in the day.
  2. People want pretty. The obvious case of this is Unix: consider the robustness of Unix and how its so not user friendly. If Windows was just like that, how many people do you think would be using personal computers? Not many. What kind of people would be using computers? Hardcore geeks. Think about that for a second. If it was just hardcore geeks using the OS, even if the OS was unstable .... we'd be able to fix it ourselves. I dont know about you but I dont fancy doing my own driver development or tweaking

The simple matter is that Windows cannot be made into a hardcore OS simply because people dont want it that way.
  3. Bad code. Just like any code, MS programmers arent perfect and they make mistakes - not to mention compiler stupidities (cough)pentium4 instruction set(cough). Sure its a much bigger issue when the OS is buggy but (a) considering the size of the OS and (b) complexity of the OS and (c) how much back baggage they have to support and on top of that (d) they have to forgo a lot of functionality in order so that normal users dont get overwhelmed.

rjkengr

most ppl think that 2000 > xp right? If so why do most computer manufactures shell out xp os's on their computers? is it a money thing?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
rjkengr said:
most ppl think that 2000 > xp right? If so why do most computer manufactures shell out xp os's on their computers? is it a money thing?

Whaaaat! Do you mean to suggest that it is "greater than" XP? I don't think so. Windows 2000 is a network centred OS while the XP operating system is made for the normal user (XP Home) and the advanced user (XP Professional). The XP operating system is primarily entertainment centred and newer than the 2000 boasting greater compatibilty and potential..

http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/windows.htm

In my opinion, based on personal experience, Windows ME was good. I had very few problems as opposed to Windows 98SE that I had prior to that. However, I am aware that it was a nightmare for many.

JAN :D

Last edited: