Pre-built brand name PC's vs Build your own

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well my first 486 clone pre-built non brand name pc was a real shocker. So I later switched to buying brand names like IBM and HP. Well they were more reliable and in my opinion a lot better quality, although a lot of people say they use crappy components. And upgrading them, well in the case of the IBM, I found it impossible to do a simple task like add a second hard drive.
I built my latest computer with the help of my cousin. Contained mostly cheap base components, but it works very well, with the exception of one blown power supply.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
well, personally, i am not big on the first tier companys such as HP/Compaq and IBM. i find them to be completely overpriced.

the only company in my good graces at this point is dell. good service and good quality systems.

but as far as desktops and servers go, i build all of my own systems. it's usually cheaper and i know what i have and can upgrade as need without voiding any warranties. most parts when bought seperately come with a warranty as is anyways.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Dell comes highly recommended by a few people I work with who are not really very computer literate. They say they have excellent support. I use a dell at work, but it is one of those base grade models, stupid thing didnt even come with a cd burner.

[tab]

[...]
I always have enough parts laying around that building a new computer works out way cheaper than buying a full system.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
same here. every system i built is a combination of a couple of new parts and a lot of parts that i have flying around somewhere. :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
my latest computer has the floppy drive out of my beloved 486

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
sweet! :) i don't have a floppy drive in my current setup. i want to try to get all black drives for it, being that the case is black as well. i am not really into case modding or any of that stuff, but i figured since it is sitting on top of my desk at plain view i should at least make it look good. i really don't like the black/white theme it has right now.

Christopher

VIP Member
I've got a Dell, I guess it does the job... But I'd much rather build my own. The only reason I've got my Dell is 'cuz I got it for free (Dad's "work computer' ;)). Though just about every component inside has been replaced with better parts.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
hey, can't beat free stuff. that's what made my last system so great despite it crashing so often. it was FREE! :D

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
not alright, but tolerable. besides, it was a problem that i could and eventually did fix. :)

cptnwinky

VIP Member
I have never and will never buy a prebuilt pc, except from a couple trusted sources. I always build my own from parts I buy seperately. Researching product compatibility and well choosing higher quality parts will ensure crash free running.

Just before I moved I had over 10 computers in my house. I had to throw them all away except for the best one which I gave to my brother in-law (they needed it) and another that I gave to a member of my church. I miss having all those computers but I had to throw away everything that could not fit into one suitcase. Hopefully in a few years I will be back to having a computer for every purpose. My web server, email server, ftp server, dns server etc. I miss it.

cptnwinky

VIP Member
I miss having all those computers but I had to throw away everything that could not fit into one suitcase.
I lost almost everything in the move. We got behind in rent and couldnt catch up so we had very little time to find some place to live and get out.

Aleksey

I agree with the part about brand name computers beign overpriced, but so are good american/european (the hardware produced in china/taiwan, those countire, does only about 1/4 of what it says in the ads). However, in some cases, like Compaq, the hardware they sell is about as cheap as it gets - on average about $900, for a ocmplete PC, with a monitor. I think that that's not such a bad haul.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
a few years ago a friend of mine bought a $3000 dollar compaq and had nothing but problems with it. hardware problems that is. compaq's on-site technical service was a his house a few times and they eventually just decided to refund him his money. everyone i know that has bought a compaq had problems with it. they are just low quality pc's in my opinion.

Aleksey

I own a compaq, and I odnt' have any problems with it at all. However, I know one certain thing about it - compaqs work best with AMD processors. I had a k6 3d before, and have a thunderbird now. The only thing you got to do is upgrade it's ram to at least 512 mb. (I have 630MB. Don't ask.) It's productivity is better than an equvalent intel-based computer.

EDIT: However, I got to add, that if you want a true high quality comp, then you have to build it yourself, which can be expensive. If you're gonna start with a pre-built model of ANY company, it will already be a low-grade comp. IT really dpends how much things do you order with it (extra RAM, HD's, cards, etc....).

Last edited: