Problem losing signal to monitor...goes to sleep

gillmanjr

Hello all, a problem has starting popping up with my PC that I'm not sure what to do about. I've done google searches about this problem and found a few different things but I'm just not sure where to start. First of all my build:

ASRock Z97 1150 mobo
i5-4670k w/Zalman heatsink
MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
Corsair RM850 PSU
Samsung 250GB SSD + 500GB WD Velociraptor + 1TB Seagate HDD
27" Dell 1440p monitor

This build is not that old, about 1 year, and I've never overclocked it, I don't run it hard. I don't even game all that often.

Now, the issue:

I have my computer set to go into sleep mode after 30 minutes or so and my Dell monitor also goes to sleep. A few weeks ago I moved the mouse and windows started back up but the monitor didn't. So I shut down the monitor and restarted it and it started. Then a few days after that the same thing happened but this time I COULD NOT get the monitor to wake back up. Windows was clearly running but the monitor would not. So I shut everything down, unplugged everything, and reset my BIOS via the jumper on the MOBO. This fixed the problem. That was about a week ago and haven't had any other issues since today.

Today I bought and downloaded the new Tomb Raider game on Steam and went to play it, as soon as the game booted the monitor went to sleep and I couldn't get it to wake up. This time I just restarted the computer. The monitor came on for the ASRock screen, then when windows booted up it went back asleep! I rebooted several times and the same thing kept happening...monitor would fall asleep right after the Windows boot screen. I was able to start and run the computer in Safe mode without problems, even with the screen resolution at 1440p.

I am kind of stumped here. The #1 cause that I see when I do a Google search is the PSU...either it being inadequate for the system (which I think you'll agree is not the problem in my case) or because it is going bad, which I find hard to believe but I suppose its possible. Could my R9 390 be crapping out? My monitor? By the way my drivers are all up to date.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

beers

Staff member
I'd try an older driver, otherwise start looking at the GPU and maybe RMA if it's unresolvable.

gillmanjr

I've made a little progress with this and may have even figured out what was causing the problem. Though I can't be certain because its only been a few hours. Last night after my post I decided to try to play Tomb Raider again only this time I turned the graphics settings down a little in the menu before booting the game. This time the game booted and my monitor stayed on, however...I heard a fairly loud and continuous high pitched sound as soon as the game booted. At first I thought it was coming from my monitor, but it wasn't. It wasn't coming from my tower either. It looks like the issue may have been the power supply after all, but I'm not talking about the power supply in my computer. The noise was coming from the UPS that I have my computer (and monitor) plugged into. Its an Eaton 350 VA UPS that I've had for quite a while and haven't had any issues. But the continuous noise indicates that the battery was being overloaded, even though it was still plugged into the wall. Its strange that I've never had this problem prior to a few weeks ago so I am wondering what has changed. My only guess is that either the UPS battery is getting old and can't hold the same charge anymore, or my Corsair PSU is drawing more power now.

beers

Staff member
Yeah 350va plus being old it'd be better to just decommission that ups for your PC

gillmanjr

I just switched over everything to the surge protection plugs only (no battery backup) for now. I'm going to upgrade to a 1000 VA tower UPS. I'm just hoping there aren't any other underlying problems here (with my PC).

davidmart

1. Move the mouse or press the Spacebar.

2. If the computer does not wake, press the keyboard Suspend button. You may need to press the Suspend button on the keyboard twice (the suspend button has an icon that looks like a quarter moon).

3. If the computer still does not wake, press the Power button on the computer case for one second and release.

4. If the monitor does not wake, restart the computer and turn off suspend mode