Problem With my Gateway

mikey4865

hey, i just got a gateway and for some reason it isnt recognizing my Cd drive.
IT is an older gateway so its running Windows 98.

I am really stumped here and any information on what to do, to get the computer to recognize the Cd drives would be great.

What do i do?

mikey4865

When i got the computer it was in pieces, i just put it together, i think it has something to do w/ the setup, what should The setup be for those drives?

I think it recognizes the BIOS

Bobo

banned
Just set all the IDE drives on Cable Select, and plug them in. The BIOS should do the configuring for you.

Bobo

banned
Jumper setting on the back of the drives. Do you know how to do that? If not, wait a minute and I will find something on google

Bobo

banned
Installing an IDE Device

This section outlines the procedure for installing an additional IDE device. You can use a similar procedure when installing the first drive in a new PC or changing IDE configuration.

Determining the Configuration

Most motherboards have two IDE controllers: IDE1 (primary) and IDE2 (secondary). Each IDE controller can support a 40-pin cable with up to two devices attached. The devices must be configured by jumper settings as slave or master.
If there is only one device on the cable, use the master setting. (Some devices have a specific single jumper setting for this).
If you add a second device to the cable, use the slave setting. Configure the drive from which you want to boot as the master device on the primary controller, unless the boot sequence options in the BIOS settings let you choose otherwise.
Certain configurations give better performance than others.
You should configure the hard disk as the master drive on the primary controller and the CD-ROM as the master drive on the secondary controller. Less contention will occur because IDE can only service one request from one device at a time. Also, the CD-ROM is a much slower device and if you attach it to the same controller as the hard drive, it will slow down access.

Set Jumpers for Each Device

Use a pair of thin-nose pliers (or fingers) to set the appropriate jumper settings for each device. Instructions on configuring the jumpers are either contained within the documentation supplied with the device, or may be written on the device itself. If this documentation is not available, the Internet is an ideal source of reference.

Connecting the IDE Device
  • Take anti-static precautions.
  • Turn off the PC. Remove the power cable and the cover.
  • Check that there is a free drive bay to hold the extra disk.
  • Connect the IDE cable to the drive and the drive controller. The IDE cable must be correctly orientated. Usually it has a red stripe that should be aligned with Pin 1 on each connector (this is often marked with a white spot). The master and slave drives can be plugged into any connector on the cable. Cables are not usually supplied with the PC but may be supplied with the new hard drive. You may require an IDE cable with connections for two drives or a second IDE cable (if the secondary controller is to be used). Check that the data cable is correctly orientated.
  • Attach a cable from the power supply to the power connector on the new drive. The plug will only fit one way.
  • Fix the disk securely into the drive bay, using the screws provided.
  • Replace the cover and turn on the PC.
Configuring CMOS

All but the oldest PCs automatically detect and configure the BIOS to recognize the new device. If an auto-detect option is not available, use the CMOS setup utility to select the device-specific parameters. The settings for a hard disk drive include cylinders, heads, sectors, translation type, PIO mode and DMA mode. Ensure that you save the changes before exiting from the setup. Preparing a Hard Disk A new hard disk drive requires partitioning and formatting before it can be used; the FDISK and FORMAT commands are used for this purpose.

The jumper settings will look something like this:

fujitsu-jumpers.jpg

but they differ for every drive

Last edited:

mikey4865

ok , that explaination was alil intense, i dont knwo if i did what i was supposed to do, would it be to much trouble to explain what i have to do?

Bobo

banned
Well it is pretty hard to explain exactly what you have to do, because I really need to be looking at the parts.

Is the CD drive on its own IDE channel? (does it have its own cord)

If so, then the jumper settings shouldn't matter

Is the IDE cable plugged in correctly?

Is the power plugged in?

Does the CD drive open/close?

mikey4865

ok the CD drive and the DVD drive are connected with a cord that has three places that plug in, 2 plug into the drives and the other into the MoBo. The PSU is also pluged into the Drives so they are gettign power.

(Explain to me IDE)

Bobo

banned
IDE is just the type of cord that those drives use

Does the DVD drive work fine?

Can the CD drive open? (while the computer is on)

mikey4865

they can both open but the computer itself doesnt seem to see them. if i check my computer it only see's the foppy drive and the hard drive

Bobo

banned
Check to see if the cable is correctly plugged in. There should be a red line on one side of the cable, and on each of the drives and the motherboard, a little arrow or a "1" should be on one pin. The red stripe goes on the side of the 1 pin

mikey4865

ok, i see the red line on the cord that is connecting the floppy but the cord for the CD and DVD dont have a red line (i took the cord for the CD and DVD drvies from a dell)

Bobo

banned
hmmmm...that will make it hard to connect it properly.

Are there any missing pins on either the cord or the drive(s)? There are 2 rows of 20 pins, sometimes one will not be there.

Bobo

banned
Well the missing pin on the drive should match up with a missing hole on the cable. If there is no hole on the cable, is there a little extrusion on the plastic in the middle? Sort of like a little bump in the connector?

Bobo

banned
OK, here is a pic:

ide-ribbon.jpg

Generally, looking at the back of the drive, the "bump" should be on top.

On the motherboard, there should be a slot into which it goes. Also look for a pin 1 designation on the motherboard, and connect the cable according to this picture

If the cable does not have a striped wire, and you cannot find pin 1 designations on the drives or the motherboard, then just try it every way possible and see if anything works

so now im still confused why it reads the floppy drive and not the other 2 drives
The floppy drive has its own motherboard controller, and is totally independent of the other 2 drives.

Another option is that the IDE controller on the motherboard could be dead, in which case you would have to get a PCI IDE card