Problem

Nutty

Hello all,

For some weeks now my PC has come up with the message 'No signal. Check signal cable' when switched on. Initially i just turned it off and then back on again and it was fine. However, recently it got worse and could take 30 minutes of turning it on and off before it booted up. Sometimes it would start to load windows and then the monitor would switch off and the same message would come up on the screen.

Today, an 'engineer' came round and said to my wife that it was the mouse causing the problem and changed that. I have just tried it tonight and it wouldn't boot up again with the same message on the screen - but eventually got it going. I was not happy with his assessment which just seems to lack logic. I even managed to start it up without the mouse plugged in.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as he is coming back tomorrow for his £50!!!!!!!, and i just cannot see that what he is saying is right.

Thanks, Nutty.

Alin.s

ok now unplug the monitor cable blow on it {Gets dust and crap out of it} Plug it back in it should work if not REFORMAT

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For some weeks now my PC has come up with the message 'No signal. Check signal cable' when switched on. Initially I just turned it off and then back on again and it was fine. However, recently it got worse and could take 30 minutes of turning it on and off before it booted up. Sometimes it would start to load windows and then the monitor would switch off and the same message would come up on the screen.
1. Is this a CRT or LCD?
2, Disconnect the monitor from the PC... both ends of the cable if possible. Now look at the pins, are any of them mashed? That happened to me and sometimes my screen would lose it's "red" signal. Also check so see if there are any pins that might have broken off inside the videocard ... i.e., does the cable slide in and out of the socket easily?
3. Ask him to explain to you exactly, in writing, why the mouse is causing this problem. Oh and dont pay

Plug it back in it should work if not REFORMAT
Huh? Cant quite reformat too well if the monitor dont work now can we? :p