Processor not running up to speed

tthaitanium

i have a AMD 2400+ processor but its only running on 1900+. i already tried changing the fsb but nothing works. so its been running on 1.5 ghz ever since i built it. my friend told me to reinstall the drivers with the driver installation cd but i don't know how. also, i dunno if i should change stuff on the bios either. help anyone?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
my friend told me to reinstall the drivers with the driver installation cd but I don't know how. also, I dunno if I should change stuff on the bios either.
Drivers have nothing to do with it. You'll have to goto the BIOS and enable the higher speed. The reason the chips run at the lower speed is because the board doesnt know what chip you've installed and it will automatically run it at the lowest available speed to prevent a burn out.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
By selecting the faster clock speed :)
It will be blatently obvious for most BIOSes ... possibly even the first thing you have access to :) Change it from 1.5Ghz to 1.9Ghz (or whatever the related speed is)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It would help if you told us the mobo you've got. But really it depends on the mobo you're running and whatever BIOS it's got... check the manual for the various details. If you're running a Via chipset it's blatently simple (which is kinda a bad thing), you just swtich from the 1.5Ghz to the higher clock speed.

If you're running an nForce2 chipset you may have to manually set some things like run your FSB at 166/333 and set the multiplier to 11.5

tthaitanium

im running on a via chipset..i have a mach speed v600ad motherboard. also i tried changing the clock speed in the bios to a higher speed, but i guess my motherboard couldn't handle it so i had to manually reset the cmos. but i dunno which option in the "miscellaneous controls" to change.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno your mobo (so read your manual) but the clock settings should be under the "Main area"