PSU problems; low +12V rail

And 1

Here is the link to what I got. TTGI 450W super-flower http://store.yahoo.com/directron/sf450stainless.html

I RMA'd the first one because it only worked for one hour. Now I got the 2nd one back and it works, but the +12V rail is very low. When I barely overclock my XP-M 2600 the rail is at 11.7V and when I up the Vcore to 2V it goes way down to 10.8 or 10.9.

Is it perhaps (I doubt it) that my motherboard (Abit An7) isn't compatible with it.
Features: Supports Intel ATX 12V ver.1.1 & 2.03 Standard. Compliant With AMD K8 (Optron).

4W4K3

VIP Member
And 1 said:
Here is the link to what I got. TTGI 450W super-flower http://store.yahoo.com/directron/sf450stainless.html

I RMA'd the first one because it only worked for one hour. Now I got the 2nd one back and it works, but the +12V rail is very low. When I barely overclock my XP-M 2600 the rail is at 11.7V and when I up the Vcore to 2V it goes way down to 10.8 or 10.9.

Is it perhaps (I doubt it) that my motherboard (Abit An7) isn't compatible with it.
Features: Supports Intel ATX 12V ver.1.1 & 2.03 Standard. Compliant With AMD K8 (Optron).

2V for a mobile chip?!?! what do you have it at 3ghz lol. i've seen 2.8ghz with 1.85V...and 1.95V will probably be your max for the chip. i run 2.55 at 1.7V and thats got lots of head room..probably take it to 2.6 without raising. i think you should just get a diff. brand PSU. does your have adjustable pots inside it? that could fix your problem. also is it powering 4hds and like 3cd drives..that will lower rails alot too.

tristan

That psu should be compatable.. If it is possible i would try an antec or enermax and see if the results change. Looking at that psus specs though it shouldnt give you those results.

And 1

Thanks for some help guys.

Sorry, I should've stated what the PSU is powering. Nothing! I've unplugged everything. I've got two CD-rom's and two hard-drives. I'm only using one hard-drive now.

Why do you say 1.95V is the max for this chip? I'm completely new to computers, so...
When I first built this system (first time) two weeks ago I could get 2.7Ghz and kind of 2.8Ghz. The latter would take 2V's to make stable with idle temp of 44°C.

I dont know if it has adjustable pots (???), but on another forum I read it's very simple to do. Is it risky?

Here's what I read on another forum. okay, the superflowers always have a low 12v rail, so your gonna need to adjust that with the interl voltage pot. otherwise it is fine

Last edited:

tristan

You shouldnt need more than 1.75 going to your chip, unless you are doing some serious overclocking. That motherboard is quite a juice hog but that PSU isnt putting out good enough rails. Try overclocking with the chip at 1.75 and see if that makes any difference. If not you need to invest in a Quality psu. Antec, or enermax 430w would be ideal.

4W4K3

VIP Member
i just meant even for 2.7ghz overclock 2V sounds like overkill. i believe you can hit 225*12 with 1.85V. every chip is different though..some wil do more on less others need alot of juice...all depends on your stepping.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know if it has adjustable pots (???), but on another forum I read it's very simple to do. Is it risky?
Potentially yes but if you'll note, adjustable pots are not a feature found on all PSUs because its not a really critical requirement for a good decent PSU.

okay, the superflowers always have a low 12v rail, so your gonna need to adjust that with the interl voltage pot. otherwise it is fine
Ive heard similar things but ive not played with a Superflower myself so i dunno