Question about security?

Flash_AAA

Whatsup guys How are ya doing?
At our school we bought 6 P2/P3 350mhz with win 98 and everything for 130 bucks a piece! My prob is I want to make them as kiddie proof as possible. I dont want them changing the backgrounds, screensaver, going in to C: and deleting all .dll files, messing with the control panel ETC... All comments appriectiated. :rolleyes: :eek: :)

kb1ghc

put linux on the box, that way they won't even know how

or...

do lots and lots of registry hacks ...

or...

they have software, that as soon as you boot the computer, the OS gets loaded from a server, so no matter what the kids do to the computer, it will be back to normal when they reboot.

and...

make sure to put spybot search and destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html on every computer, and use a firewall to block kazaa ports.

because kids will download anything and EVERYTHING.

there might be some commercial software out there, look around

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
No need for a firewall if you dont have a networking device :p The star-network might be something you'd want to look into though although it might take a bit more work than you'd want to put into configuring an application server

Flash_AAA

Nope im not planning on networking. Im gona try the program cryocode if i can block the control panel, run and properites my work is done.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Just have a runthrough of the policy editor -- just make sure you keep an account open for yourself :p You can really lockdown a machine locally (and accidentally) when tinkering with that stuff.

Another thing you'll want to add is a BIOS password so they cant boot off alternatve devices :)