question...answer please :)

ssj4nickeli

:confused: i need some one to please answer a few questions.
1:If i buy a 80 gig hd from seagate do i need any additional cooling?
2:My computer has win/me and i was wondering if i should upgrade to xp? (or is xp just a waste of my money?)
Thanks for the help :D
(ohh yea by the way my computer is a compaq 5000 pc)
:cool:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
1. to my knowledge, you shouldnt.
2. I dont have any experience with windows me, from what I have heard it doesnt have a good rep, not sure whether it is worth upgrading.

Christopher

VIP Member
1. Shouldn't, unless you've got a case packed full to the rims with stuff and adding an extra hdd might obscure air-flow.

2. Run. Run and dont look back! Throw it onto the road, and lock the door -- no, burn it! :p Upgrading to XP is worth it IMO. But many people insist that 2000 is a better choice though I'd still pick XP.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
with a little work 2000 is much nicer than xp, but i have had problems with 2000 not supporting some of my hardware (like my dsl). 2000 was originally intended for businesses, however all xp is, is a peped up version of 2000. but yes it is deffinetly worth upgrading from winme.

The Hitman

questions

1. The reason you would ever need additional cooling for a Hardrive is if it is a SCSI hdd. I'm guessing that your is not SCSI, in which case you do not need additional cooling. If you talked with tech support from compaq, chances are they are trying to sell you something that is not needed.

2. Do Not Upgrade to XP!!! Trust me on this one. XP is a very stable operating system and Microsoft has made it more powerful when they released SP1 (free upgrade with XP). Now, your wondering why I said DO NOT UPGRADE TO XP? Upgrading from ME to XP is going to provide you with more problems than you could ever imagine due to the fact that your taking a Fat32 based Operating system (ME, Win98) and upgrading it to a NTFS file system (XP,2000,NT,Longhorn, etc.) In conclusion, PURCHASE THE FULL XP (not upgrade) After you purchase the full edition, you need to format and reload your hardrive to install the new operating system (which you could ask a variety of computer people and the majority of them should know how to do that) Also, there is a minute difference between XP home edition and XP pro, so home would work in your case. Good luck!

Rick G

I second the HITMANS advice.
No cooling required for hard drive.

New install of XP, no upgrade. New XP can be found for $99 "with purchase of computer parts" and thumbscrew qualify as comp parts. This is an oem version but exactly same as retail except no manual and no pretty box.
XP will let you run more than 512 ram and actually be able to use it.

[tab]

[...]
In the good old days you could buy an upgrade of version of MS Windows and use it to do a clean install, as long as you had the discs for your old version... is that still the case?

Bob

[tab] said:
In the good old days you could buy an upgrade of version of MS Windows and use it to do a clean install, as long as you had the discs for your old version... is that still the case?
---------------------------------------------------------
Since the catastrophic Win98 upgrade which must have been the worst thing MS ever made (closley followed by WinMe) they still haven't got the upgrade thing straight.

Go for XP. XP is great, the nearest thing to a r"eal" operating system that MS have ever made. It even almost works hassle free BUT do get the full version, format (with the install if you wish) and you can chose Fat32 or NTFS. NTFS has the reputation of being more solid as per WinNT solid. If you're networking get Pro if not, Home is OK.

Reinrev

subzero7676

ssj4nickeli said:
:confused: i need some one to please answer a few questions.
1:If i buy a 80 gig hd from seagate do i need any additional cooling?
2:My computer has win/me and i was wondering if i should upgrade to xp? (or is xp just a waste of my money?)
Thanks for the help :D
(ohh yea by the way my computer is a compaq 5000 pc)
:cool:

Putting a 80 GB HDD does not take any cooling unless you are storing it right near another hardrive. with each hardrive it is good to have a space or two between them.

It is a very good idea to up grade to windows XP but make sure you do a clean install so you get rid of the windows me! that way you system will be more stable!

vladimirbot

you can get xp if u want, and i would recommend it, but u could just wait a few more years until longhorn comes out, but win xp is a great upgrade!

terrance04

No it shoudn't

I rebuild computers, test and monitor them in my spare time and to my knowledge a fan for a hard drive is not required, but if you want to spice up your pc you can add one, keeps it a little cooler and looks nice if you get a neon light fan :cool: .

As a matter of fact i am selling a maxtor 40 gb hardrive, i can preload with windows xp home edition, if anyone is interested. Very good condition. Also i have lots of computer parts that are excellent condition, if they are a certain part you are looking for just reply to me.

charly

no extra cooling needet for your drive unless your pc is packed

2. i run 2000 stabil, never had troubles and no prob's with drivers. just if your cpu runs more than 3ghz you should upgrade to xp, cuz only xp and linux supports that cpu.

jbob

1. HDD shouldn't need any additional ventilation.

2. Get XP, IF you make sure your Compaq 5000 has XP drivers available for it on Compaqs site for the basics like video, audio, onboard nic if it has one, modem, etc...some like Dell even have chipset infs that must be installed for XP support. This is common good practice for older machines that were around before XP was released. A common mistake many folks make is assuming any older machine will run XP and then find they don't have driver support after they install it. I don't deal too much with Compaq so I would recommend you check their support site. If they have them, download them and burn them to cd BEFORE you begin replacing the OS...

[tab] said:

Yes that is true. Some folks misunderstand the terminology about "upgrade". You can purchase a Windows XP Upgrade version in either Home or Professionial version for far less than the Full version. This requires you to have a previous version of a MS OS like 98SE or ME cd available. This does not mean you should then take the XP upgrade cd and stick it in the cd drive and do an in place, on top "upgrade" of your running ME to XP. This will be the biggest mistake you could make, and one that generates a lot of business for me :). Microsoft never perfected the "one OS on top of another " upgrade process. So by all means, buy the XP upgrade version if you have your original ME cd, then blow away your ME installation with fdisk. Obviously back up any docs or other data you will need. Then put in the XP cd, boot from it, partition drive how you want it then format drive using NTFS or FAT32, enter your XP product code, then wait for it to ask you for the "previous OS version" that it cannot find, since the hard drive is freshly erased. Take out the XP cd, put in the ME cd, it reads the magic secret data it needs to confirm you have a qualified previous OS version, put XP cd back in, then it proceeds with the XP install. Your "upgrade is complete" and you didn't shell out double the bucks for the full license version of XP, and you didn't try and turn a mucked up ME install into an even more mucked up XP install... hope this helps...

Jim

vix

1. Generally, a hard drive DOES NOT require additional cooling as long as you have adequate air flow through your case. ( I don't use any additional hard drive cooling, and I run six 10,000 RPM drives.)

2. Upgrade to XP? Maybe. It depends on your system specs. In some older systems, your system could choke on XP just as some systems choke on Vista. Post your system specs for more information.

EDIT: Hehehe.... a 4 year old thread... Hopefully the OP upgraded already. :p

Last edited:

concorde

Heatsinks and fans are cheap. I've seen 10,000 RPM drives bare with nothing to cool it. Shameful. All drives should have a heatsink whether it is 1 RPM or one million rpms:p