Radeon 9800 pro and a generic PSU

tal

I have a 300w generic PSU (Codegen's if that matters), and just recently bought a Radeon 9800 pro. I was told that a generic PSU may not be enough for a card such as the R9800 pro, and that I would have to buy a non-generic 300w PSU.

Since I only have the card for a few days, I didn't really have a chance to use the card too much, and I wanted to know if there's any way that my PSU could handle this card, and if there are any tests I need to run to see if it works.

sorry if my english isn't perfect.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tal said:
I have a 300w generic PSU (Codegen's if that matters), and just recently bought a Radeon 9800 pro. I was told that a generic PSU may not be enough for a card such as the R9800 pro, and that I would have to buy a non-generic 300w PSU.

Since I only have the card for a few days, I didn't really have a chance to use the card too much, and I wanted to know if there's any way that my PSU could handle this card, and if there are any tests I need to run to see if it works.

sorry if my english isn't perfect.

well..to see if it works, test it. but if you PLAN on buying the card...i would google it and see if people have had problems. a 300watter can probably support that card..but its bare minimum. best bet is getting a better klnown brand/stablerail/biggerwatt PSU...nothing expensive though. fortrons are like $80 and are GREAT PSU's. you wouldn;t wanting ur PSU blowing and frying ur system (not very likely) but it happens.

tal

I meant that I already have the card and so far it works (although I played any game for more than 30 minutes), but I wanted to know what tests I need to run in order to know that my PSU is or isn't good enough, because I really can't afford to buy a new PSU right now.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tal said:
I meant that I already have the card and so far it works (although I played any game for more than 30 minutes), but I wanted to know what tests I need to run in order to know that my PSU is or isn't good enough, because I really can't afford to buy a new PSU right now.

OH! ok i get ya now. well benchamrks are great to test GPU and system stability. try www.madonion.com and get there FREE version (whichever that is) its great and fun to watch.

tal

Thanks! I'll try it when I'm home.

And just two more questions:
1. What are the risks I'm taking if my PSU isn't good enough by running 3DMark 2005?
2. If I get no errors during the test, does it mean that my PSU is okay and I don't have to buy a new one?

4W4K3

VIP Member
tal said:
Thanks! I'll try it when I'm home.

And just two more questions:
1. What are the risks I'm taking if my PSU isn't good enough by running 3DMark 2005?
2. If I get no errors during the test, does it mean that my PSU is okay and I don't have to buy a new one?

1. id run 3dmark 2001SE. '05 will KILL your machine if it even runs it. 9800pros are about minimum for that test. but safety wise...you should be fine.
2. loop it a few times (best to run overnight really) and if you get no errors or reboots you should be set.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tal said:
And how about 3dmark 2003?

that should run ok...lots of people still sue that. jsut '05 is REALLY hard on your system and people are barely hitting 7K with there 6800U or X800PE XT cards. i got an inside friend who has been to nvidia HQ and talked to president..and seen some JUICY scores..but its all still "restricted" so he can't talk too much. the 9800PRO is perfect for '03 IMO. if you can run '05 go for it.....but you wont score too high, and watch the temps.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tal said:
Thanks a lot!

NP...your lucky u got a 9800PRO. my 9200 wont even RUN '03 without crashing/screen errors lol. dont even break 10K in 2001SE:( o well...good thing i don't play games much huh? lol.