ram performance question/ kingston

tboski123

what is the difference between kingston value ram and kingston hyperx ram performance wise? also, is their any type of compatability issues when using a higher grade of ram? or does the high grade ram still work without any type of tweaking to the mobo? just a curious newbie.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
No compatability issues. Out of the box the two sticks of RAM, 90% of the time (dependent on your mobo) will run at the exact same settings (the timings on the premium might be a bit tighter but whoopee). The reason the HyperXs are more expensive is because they can be overclocked -- note that this does not mean they are overclocked -- you have to do the OCing to get them to run them faster than, say PC3200.

Now if you are comparing say PC3200 Value and PC3200 HyperX then the difference is (a) the HyperX probably comes with a heatspreader and the value doesnt (not that you need one at such low clocks -- its only running 200Mhz/400DDR) and (b) the timings might be a bit tighter (so that you can OC it if you chose to). Its not something to throw your wallet into unless you seriouly want/can do some OCing :)

tboski123

so should i stick with brand name or generic stuff if i plan not to oc? low density right? suggestions? also, i have an asus a7n8x-la ( which i have yet to find support for this model) and i just want to know is dual channel a ram specific thing or does it have to do with the slot config in the mobo. i only have 2 slots and a 2gb max for ram.

4W4K3

VIP Member
if you want a generic brand thats not too $$$$ i would get mushkin RAM. they have a value series just like kingston, and then a green line and a blue line meant for like better timings and overclocking. i bought value series for another rig and it overclocks to 220mhz no probs, havent tried any higher as im on stock cooling and already running 56C idle with a room fan. :(

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
You call Mushkin generic? :p

i do, i got it pretty cheap for my gf's computer (green series). there more $$$$ stuff is good, but there lower end i would consider pretty cheap/baseline.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The simple fact that mushkin is called "mushkin" means its got a "brand name" as opposed to "no name" :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
The simple fact that mushkin is called "mushkin" means its got a "brand name" as opposed to "no name" :)

oh i c what ur saying, i was confused. i thought u asked me if i thought it was a low performance ram or something.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah there's a big difference ... budget oriented memory is different from no-name memory :p