RAM type dilemma

Blaze Launcher

Hey, I've had my computer for about 3 years now, and it's had it's fair share of problems, but now i've narrowed it all down to one. 128 MB of RDRAM is installed right now, and it must have decayed because I can barely multitask at all. It just freezes, and i have to manually shut it off. I already minimized the problem by crashing all unnecessary programs before doing anything else, but it gets a little annoying after a while. SO, this leads me to what I'm getting at: Why is RDRAM so much more expensive (how is it of higher quality) than most other RAM, and is it possible just to buy another type of memory, pull out the existing memory, and install the new type, or do computers get used to the memory and not accept a different type?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Why is RDRAM so much more expensive (how is it of higher quality) than most other RAM, and is it possible just to buy another type of memory, pull out the existing memory, and install the new type, or do computers get used to the memory and not accept a different type?
- RDRAM is expensive because (a) Rambus Inc. is stupid (b) They have a monopoly and (c) It's theoretical (not to be confused with actual) performance is really good
- You wont be able to swapp RDRAM for DDR or something because (if im not mistaken), boards with RDIMM slots do not have any other type of memory slot and memory technology is not interchangeable as such