Random Computer Crash(Mind Boggler)

Shadowz

HEllo MY computer seems to crash out of the blue when left on. But unlike a normal crash where the screen freezes or a blue screen pops up instead the monitor turn off and every thing else looks like it running I know it is crashed becuase I get no response from inputs and when i listening to music the music degrades horribly until it finishes with no sound. Only way to recover from this is to hold the power button or pull the plug.

I running a relativley knew install of winxp pro with all update installed. Recently i upgraded to a better processor, athlon 2400+ ildling around 61-63 and installed another hard drive 250gig maxtor 7200rpm. I ran the hard drive through the error check thing that comes with the hard drive and it check out ok

It crashes the most when a bittorrent client is running can anyone help search google for anything like it nothing helped

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
athlon 2400+ ildling around 61-63
Thats a hot CPU for idling... what's the stress temperature like? If its in excess of 70°

It crashes the most when a bittorrent client is running
BT is a cpu hog as is probably jacking the temps to kingdom come :)

Shadowz

it maxes around 67 and it crahsed in my face at 63 so it probly isn't that but to make sure i'll render something in premiere

Last edited:

Shadowz

You may be right. I had music going while rendering and browsing and it crashed at 67C so maybe my cpu doesn't have a very high tempurature threshold or maybe my motherboard shut off power to it when the themps get above 67C i dont know.
I already tryed to bring the temp down on the cpu though volcano 11 xaser runnig on on it and i lapped it and still hiogh temp plus i live in const 80-100F degree whether South Florida no much cooler inside aroundi'd say 85-84F

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Anything above 60° is worth worrying... anything above 70° is for panicing. You should be worrying. A hot CPU means hot RAM which is bad.

Shadowz

thanx for the help i guess i have to get a better hsf to it run cooler or just take the side apnel off an blow a fan on it that bring down in the low 50s

Shadowz

ALright I blew a regular fan on the mobo and got temps down to 53C and it still crashes when I run Bittorrent I know the temps are'nt getting near 60 so heat is not the issue
I am perplexed!?!

Last edited:

Shadowz

no metal touching metal, I have a fan blowing on the mobo and to 60mm fnas blowing on the hard drive and I dont know about the pwersupply I have a 400 watt psu run cdrw,dvdrw, 3hd, 2 intakes and 1 exhaust fan and everything on the mobo

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ALright I blew a regular fan on the mobo and got temps down to 53C and it still crashes when I run Bittorrent I know the temps are'nt getting near 60 so heat is not the issue
Ok so the CPU isnt overheating ... how about the memory? :)

Shadowz

I'm not sure but I assuming that the ram should be pretty cool since its got alot of air running across it. I may have been a little vague on the type of fan maybe the diagram will help. sry I'm not an ascii artist
fan----------opencase
.................______
.._ ...........|.........|
/ |-------------> |
| |-------------> |
| |-------------> |
\_|-------- |_____|
/ \

Last edited:

Shadowz

I think I figured it out. After weeks of searching for a solution I think I finally came across it. At http://btfaq.com they said that some netwrks card are buggy and they mention a few and among them was mine. THe solution is to update the drivers via the what company they say too. For instance mine was the Linksys NC100 and they said to go to ADMtek to get the updated. If this solution fails I'll post again to let you guys know