Rebuilding computer, RAM question

Greg J.

VIP Member
I'm currently rebuilding an Intel computer with an Intel motherboard: SE440BX-2
I recently purchased exact matching RAM modules from Crucial
( SD-RAM PC-100 256MB x2 + old 128 PC-100 stick, latency=2). I installed all the RAM already (3 slots).
The problem is that, can this RAM be installed (forced) backwards? This motherboard doesn't seem to need the RAM sticks installed at a 45 degree angle. I'm a first time builder. I installed all the RAM and am soon to put a new graphics card in and case fan to complete my job. Please, I need to know about whether or not the RAM could be killed if I installed it backwards so as to NOT fry and kill the RAM.
This system has remained unplugged and will continue to be until the other parts ship in via UPS.
The line-up notch in the RAM is great, but it still looks like it will go the other way.
Intel
Pentium 3
640 MB RAM
80 gig IBM Hitachi Desk Star with bus interface adapter (Adaptec brand) PCI card + old 10 gig IBM drive (ATA-66 and ATA-33 all compatable through PCI card)
DVD-ROM drive
standard floppy drive
60mm case fan/power supply
Malfunctioning Intel standard (old school) 3-D graphics card.
All replies and help will be most apprecitated. Feel free to email me.

72montecarlo

Ram does not install any other way aside from perpendicular and 45degree angle to teh motherboard. and i highly suggest not trying to install them backwards. if they dont go in easily then they should not be forced in.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
can this RAM be installed (forced) backwards
No. They are made a certain way to be installed only a certain way

Please, I need to know about whether or not the RAM could be killed if I installed it backwards so as to NOT fry and kill the RAM.
If you look at the memory, you will notice that the notches are cut into the stick at certain points --- and those notches line up with the notches in the sockets. The line up for a reason ;-)

The line-up notch in the RAM is great, but it still looks like it will go the other way.
It wont. It's made to be relatively idiot-proof.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Okay, I got it all right then !

I'm all set because I checked. I installed them all correctly ! :D

darkd3vil

okay praetor i woudnt say idiot proof i put mine in backwards, and it fit so i wouldnt say that it was crucial 512 to a aopen ak89max mobo

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
okay praetor I woudnt say idiot proof I put mine in backwards, and it fit
You sure the memory wasnt defective? By definitioon of the pin structure of DDR memory, it wouldnt be possible without "removing pins" from the DIMM since the "missing pin' occurs at approximately the 1/3rd along the stick which would mean there's only one way to install it .... interesting indeed.

Viper_86

banned
darkd3vil said:
okay praetor i woudnt say idiot proof i put mine in backwards, and it fit so i wouldnt say that it was crucial 512 to a aopen ak89max mobo
i think i would say idiot proof...unless ur a noob among noobs and decide to make ur own notch

Viper_86

banned
darkd3vil said:
i think i would say idiot proof...unless ur a noob among noobs and decide to make ur own notch

sry if that sounds rude again...not trying to.