~Recommend me a laptop!~

Tech_Girl

I'm going bonkers searching for the "perfect" laptop. I've been eyeing a few, but I'm unsure. Here are my requirements:

-At least an Intel Pentium 4 at 2.8 Ghz (or anything equivalent to this)
-512 MB RAM
-60 GB hard drive (bonus: more than 4200 rpm)
-A good enough graphics card for games like "Sims 2"/basic computing
-CD-RW/DVD
-Lithium Ion battery (preferably 12-cell)
-Wireless
-Comfortable keyboard
-Wide screen and NO dead pixels!
-Media buttons (would be nice!)

A nice bonus would be a laptop that is light weight and has a long battery life, although this isn't my main concern. I'm looking for something solid that will hold up through 4 years of university. I won't be travelling a whole lot with it (probably a max. of 10 times per year).

My maximum buget is $1599 CDN (before taxes).

If you have any suggestions that are close to what I posted above, that would be great! Thanks ;)

P11

VIP Member
yo wont get those stats for 1599 CDN considering you want a widescreen 512 DDR RAM and a 60GB hard drive - you should be looking at 1900 CDN and also for a strong a light weigt laptop probably about 2 G's

4W4K3

VIP Member
P11 said:
ya but thats USD which would equal about 1,900 CAD

ah, correct...didnt notice he wanted CAD. they have 2 cheaper models that will give you lower price. still 64bit for one of them too.

Tech_Girl

Actually, you can get laptops with those specs for $1599. There was a Toshiba one on sale @ Future Shop for that price (Toshiba A70).

Thanks for the suggestion 4W4K3. I checked it out and they sell it at Future Shop but it's $1999 CDN plus tax :(

P11

VIP Member
i doubt it has a Athlon 64 3400+ probably a 2.5 Ghz pentium 4 and i would go with somthing not from futureshop cause its just to expensive

4W4K3

VIP Member
Tech_Girl said:
Thanks for the suggestion 4W4K3. I checked it out and they sell it at Future Shop but it's $1999 CDN plus tax :(

did you look at there lower end models?

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6810
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M2352

there still good and pretty close to what u wanted. (vid card could be a tad better)

i doubt it has a Athlon 64 3400+ probably a 2.5 Ghz pentium 4 and i would go with somthing not from futureshop cause its just to expensive

wat u mean? it's a 3400+ plain and simple...

CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ Processor
64-bit Architecture operates at 2.00 GHz
System Bus uses HyperTransport™
Technology operating at 1600 MHz
1 MB L2 Cache

doubt they would lie.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yo wont get those stats for 1599 CDN considering you want a widescreen 512 DDR RAM and a 60GB hard drive - you should be looking at 1900 CDN and also for a strong a light weigt laptop probably about 2 G's
Should be doable ... of course you wont get a small 'book (god I hate them dinky things anyways :p)

still 64bit for one of them too.
But since they have 32bit OS on them.... :p

I checked it out and they sell it at Future Shop but it's $1999 CDN plus tax
Dont buy it from Futureshop ... they have a goddamn 9800XT $100 more than a X800Pro .... everything they've got is at least 30% overcharged.

Southy

Praetor said:
Dont buy it from Futureshop ...
Where would you suggest or what would you say would be the best way to go in the purchasing of new laptops, specially if such places as futureshop/best buy are overpriced?

And is it possible to buy a new laptop customized to what you want instead of just a straight package? More specifically in Canada?

Tech_Girl

Southy said:
Where would you suggest or what would you say would be the best way to go in the purchasing of new laptops, specially if such places as futureshop/best buy are overpriced?

And is it possible to buy a new laptop customized to what you want instead of just a straight package? More specifically in Canada?

Good questions. I'd like to know the answers to those too :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Tech_Girl said:
Good questions. I'd like to know the answers to those too :)

Easy answer, buy it online. You can get discounts, and almost all sites will let you "customize" your laptop to your needs.

If you absolutely have to get it at a store...i suggest calling around and seeing what store has it for the lowest price (once you decide what you want) and if it has rebates etc. Fry's Electronics (Have in Canada?) usually has awesome deals, Microcenter can have good sales as well...those are the only places i ever really find deals regularly. Other places have great deals no doubt...it's just a question of when they are...

mkl

if you live close to the border like i do, buy it in the states (which i intend to do soon), considering how much the CDN has risen. Its much cheaper in the states, even in stores like circuit city. plus, you can save the tax (act cool at the customs). you could probably get the laptop you wanted for $1600 CDN.

Tech_Girl

Yeah, Future Shop seems to have some good deals now and then. The thing with buying it online is the service. What if it dies one day? It would have to be shipped away and I'd be without a computer for a few weeks. How would that work?

Southy

Yeah, Toshiba's are good computers, I like them too... lots of people like and highly recommend them as well... that has to count for something...