Restarting?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hey,

My computer just randomly restarts every now and again and I don't know why... :confused:

Here's a screenshot of my temp folder that the files are apparently in...

Any ideas on whats wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rambo

How long has it been happening? Try doing Virus scans, Adware and Spyware removal, etc..

:)

Edit: It could also be a defective power supply.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've ran a virus scan, defragmented, everything and it still happens... I don't know if could be, the one I have is a 400watt...

Any other ideas what it is? I tried deleting the things in the temp file and it says I can't because they are in use...

Jet

VIP Member
What brand of 400 watt? Did it come along with your case? Most PSUs that come with cases have a tendency to be low quality, and quit sooner than later.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, it came with my case... It says that there's specific files to blame though, would a new PSU fix it, I don't want to waste my money... it worked fine in my old case with the old PSU and that was about 2 years old...

Jet

VIP Member
Look at the sticker on the side and tell us how many amps it has on the 12V rail.

Rambo

Generally, although not always, PSU's which come with cases are of low quality. You're going to need to monitor the power supplies' voltages and see if you notice anything strange (perhaps sudden spikes or something).

iggy101

yeah it could be the gpu drivers... that happened to me but it only restarted when i was gaming. after i updated the drivers it started working. go ahead and update the drivers on everything to eliminate that possibility!

Kornowski

VIP Member
That's the -12V. Look for the +12V. :)

I'll have to take the side of the case off, I'll do it tomorrow...

yeah it could be the gpu drivers... that happened to me but it only restarted when i was gaming. after i updated the drivers it started working. go ahead and update the drivers on everything to eliminate that possibility!

Ok sure, I'll post back once I've done that, do you think its the problem?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok so I've updated the drivers... I haven't had a chance to test it yet though... I hope it works?

Any views on what else it may be>

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, So I played the FEAR expansion pack for about an hour and it didn't restart...

What are peoples views on the PSU?

PC eye

banned
If the supply in that case is stable you should start looking over system temps. Board and cpu temps will see system restarts at times just like any voltage dropoffs. The one time I ordered a case "with a supply" the supply lasted all of two weeks and simply quit! I don't care what brand is on the supply. I am in full agreement that the "cheapies" are what they simply throw into them. But you still want to look over the temps to prevent possible damages being seen from something overheating.

Kornowski

VIP Member
My temps are fine, Idle they are 35C on the CPU and when playing a game they go to about 43C...

I can't tell the temp of my video card, I don't think it has a sensor, I'm ordering a 80mm (no room for 120mm) exhaust fan tomorrow, It may help...

PC eye

banned
The fan will offer a little help with air flow for the case in general but not really anything for the cpu. Those are slightly better then average actually for a stock setup. The newer AMD Socket AM2 dual core models see a max temp of about 60-65C while an older Socket A maxed at 85-90C depending on model. Those are high temps even for that line of cpus.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, The temps are pretty good I think... It hasn't restarted since I got the drivers... But then I haven't played much... Whats your view on the files that are to 'blame'?