rookie question

arno

are there any sites of tips and tricks for computers like y junction and other stuff

because im wanting to use a fan of an very old power supply to my computer its( dc brushless ) butt dont now how to splitting or y junction power cables well :confused: or is it a dum idea even to use the fan

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Uh... you want to remove the fan from the PSU and use it as a case fan? Might not be doable depending on the PSU because some PSU fans have some really wierd connectors (to prevent that kinda stuff)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
wel it has a red and a black wire and most of the fans have those wires
Yes they do but if you look at the connectors those red and black wires use ... you'll find a lot of PSUs use two-pin connectors rather than the more common 3-pin and 4-pin variants. Now if you know your way around electronics and such go for it but I would imagine it'd be an easier task just to get a standard fan :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's not so difficult to connect that fan, but since it's old it might be noisy and the accumulated dust in it doesn't make it very reliable.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It's not so difficult to connect that fan
Really? So all i'd have to do is grab some 3/4 pin headers somewhere and feed them through? (i thought the pin/cables on PSU fans were too big for 3pin headers...maybe 4pin headers work)

arno

yeah you right but i just wanted to put it on an old aptiva e series 243 from ibm computer but im thinking of making my own computer and then i just buy fans and cooling stuff

arno

well i study electronics but dont know nothing of computer electronics butt its maybe easy but its my first time opening unscrewing my computer and rebuild it what worked but i couldnt even play age of empires so that not good

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah yeah I know THAT lol... i was thinking of a cleaner solution (if possible)