SATA and IDE in same computer?

Noah

Will this work fine? I am using an older CD Drive and a new HDD, the HDD is SATA, but the drive is just IDE, is that ok? Will both work fine?

PC eye

banned
I run a sata dvd burner and two large sata hard drives along with an ide type cd writer and single ide HD in the new build here. Vista is on the ide HD while XP resides on the first sata. They all work well.

chupacabra

It should be fine, but if i were you i would buy a round ide cable since the conventional ide cables sucks

PC eye

banned
The Antec Cobra UV White ide cables have proven to be the best round cables you can buy. I've tired different brands in different caes over the years with some being garbage. I found a sale price of $2.84 for the new build here at one vendor. They generally see between $10-$15 with one vendor found having a sale for $5+. You can look those over at http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77238

The main difference with the Antec over other brands is the double nylon wrap rather then the cheap vinyl covering many brands use. If I didn't need one set for restoring an old build that set would be in use in the third build in a row. They take of ide drives well.

The main thing to note about mixing sata and ide drives in one case is seen when going to install Windows. When installing even with the sata drive selected the installer will automatically start copying files to the first ide hard drive it finds. This goes for Vista as well as XP. For using a sata as the OS drive first unplug any ide hard drives in use. Windows will install the drive later when it detects it.

Noah

Thanks everyone. :]
And also, i actually have some Antec Cobra cables from my old PC, so that's good. :D

PC eye

banned
Those are great cables to have onhand for sure. I was fortunate to catch a sale recently for a new build here with $2.84 sale price. The shipping is high on them however. I paid a total of $38- to see only 4 cables shipped here! The retail in 1004 was $9.99 when those were first seen. They now can run as high as $17.98 if not $15! They last however far better then any vinyl covered cheap brands. :D

chupacabra

Those are great cables to have onhand for sure. I was fortunate to catch a sale recently for a new build here with $2.84 sale price. The shipping is high on them however. I paid a total of $38- to see only 4 cables shipped here! The retail in 1004 was $9.99 when those were first seen. They now can run as high as $17.98 if not $15! They last however far better then any vinyl covered cheap brands. :D

Care to say where/what is that place/site you talk so much?

PC eye

banned
At this point I don't actually remember except it was a retail supplier having some type of clearance sale at the time. Those I had someone else actually place the order for when advising that person to take advantage of the sale price. The local store(Circuit City) had them originally and now has reduced what they carry for pc accessories and cables.

This place was a one time buy when simply running a search on them pointed that place out at one of the shopping sites like nextag, bizrate, shopping.com, etc. like you would see in the search on the link here. http://infospace.abcnews.com/_1_25ETU5503SRL8H3__info.abcnws.toolbar/search/web/antec%2Bcobra%2Bcables

Using a variation of the InfoSpace toolbar that combines searcg engines you can find things you would generally miss using just one like Google, Yahoo, MSN by themselves. At first they were found for $3.13 then that dropped to $2.99 and finally $2.84 when the order was placed. So far I still haven't been able to relocate that same vendor to look over anything else. I may have posted a link for the place on a recent thread however.