Server Operating system

Stevetama

I am doing some research on upgrading my companies server.

I have found out all I need on the hardware aspect.

We are currently running Win Server 2000 on the server, and XP on all the workstations, currently 15, soon will be 20.

When I am looking at the different versions of Win Server 2003, most of them have different number of clients. Do I need a version with extra clients, even though the workstations are running XP?

BTW: I'm an electrical engineer, boss just knows I have computer knowledge and asked if I could help out. The old server was built before currently management, so I have no contacts as to ask how the current server was built/IT stuff/etc.

Can somebody recommend me the right version of Server 2003 please :D

Thanks

Platinum

Alright, well in order for the workstations (regardless of what version of Windows they are running) to access server software, such as file or printer sharing, you will need a client access license (CAL). Now, you don't necessarily need 20 licenses, it depends on what you will be using the server for. Go to this site:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/lic_cal.mspx
And scroll down to the table for a list of what you will need a CAL for. Find out what this server will be used for, and contact a local reseller so you can talk about your specific needs, and he'll best advise you.

Check that site out, and you'll have a better idea of what you will need.

Stevetama

I have looked over the link and I understand what it is saying.

Question though, I have installed new computers in the office to replace old ones, and never installed anything regarding WinServer CAL, and they have all be able to access the shared folders, and accounting software. Is this because the server is allowing X amount of computers to access it, or ... ?

Thanks for the help

systek

banned
Microsoft pretty much handles this in a cheap azz way if you ask me. they want you to purchase enough cal's that you think you "may" use during the course of the year. if you install more client machines than there are cal's, they can hold that against you. unless they prove you did it outright to not pay for the licensing, they just make you purchase even more cals next time around. from my experience, they dont let you purchase less in a business environment.

systek

banned
if the technet article seems daunting, just find a reputable MS reseller and have a nice long talk about licensing and the legalities involved. I did this and it was the most informative conversation I could have asked for. Interesting how according to the fine print, once you purchase a volume license, ALL client computers are required to have a volume license key, even older PCs that had been purchased with an OEM copy...geez