Socket Intel News

Jiniix

Please don't make a desktop i5 with HT. It's bad enough on the mobile market as it is. I hope it's incorrect, seems to be just rumors atm.

beers

Staff member
Please don't make a desktop i5 with HT. It's bad enough on the mobile market as it is. I hope it's incorrect, seems to be just rumors atm.
Why not? The mobile ones suck since they're just HT dual cores, it sounded like they're making it similar to the i7 with less cache. The i3 already have the HT dual core segment of the market :p

Jiniix

Yeah. Most mobile i5 and i7's should be labelled i3, since they're dual cores with HT.
In my perfect world it would always be:
Celeron/Pentium = badbad dual cores
i3 = Pentium with HT
i5 = quad core
i7 = i5 + HT

mistersprinkles

Yeah. Most mobile i5 and i7's should be labelled i3, since they're dual cores with HT.
In my perfect world it would always be:
Celeron/Pentium = badbad dual cores
i3 = Pentium with HT
i5 = quad core
i7 = i5 + HT

They're honestly not THAT bad. For a grandma that just watches netflix and emails her grandkids, celeron/pentium is fine. Celerons multitask like blindfolded pigs on acid though...

They make those. i7.

Calin

Since you clearly didn't understand me, let me put it in another way:
Please don't make a desktop i7 and call it an i5.
If they make it an i5 it would probably be cheaper than all Kaby i7s which would be good.

Jiniix

It obviously won't affect performance one bit. I'm talking about consumer clarity and consistency.
And because it's an i5, it's not necessarily going to be cheaper than all i7s. Plenty non-K i7s cheaper than unlocked i5s. This is an unlocked i5 with HT. The cost is the same, regardless of what label you slap on it.
Look at NVIDIA. They have a few GPUs called "Titan X" with massive performance differences. Razer has "Blade" and "The New Blade" (and Pro versions of both as well).
Consistency bois, alll I want. Being able to know 95% of the details, without having to Google it.

Darren

Staff member
It obviously won't affect performance one bit. I'm talking about consumer clarity and consistency.
And because it's an i5, it's not necessarily going to be cheaper than all i7s. Plenty non-K i7s cheaper than unlocked i5s. This is an unlocked i5 with HT. The cost is the same, regardless of what label you slap on it.
Look at NVIDIA. They have a few GPUs called "Titan X" with massive performance differences. Razer has "Blade" and "The New Blade" (and Pro versions of both as well).
Consistency bois, alll I want. Being able to know 95% of the details, without having to Google it.
I can get behind this 110%. The naming patterns of various computer parts and products drive me insane sometimes. Do you know how many HP 15" Netbooks there are? Too. Friggin. Many. Particularly when it comes to tracking down parts for them. Naming consistency is definitely helpful for customers as I pretty much tell people "this one's faster, trust me" when selling laptops. The specs are right there but trying to explain why a quad core Pentium is faster than a Celeron but slower than a technically dual core i5 is impossible. I'm usually of the opinion that if you have to ask the difference you likely won't notice it, at least with my clientele.

beers

Staff member
The naming patterns of various computer parts and products drive me insane sometimes.
Same. It seems like a certain degree of irony to me since i3/i5/i7 was a move to simplify these naming conventions yet they're becoming increasingly convoluted.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Same. It seems like a certain degree of irony to me since i3/i5/i7 was a move to simplify these naming conventions yet they're becoming increasingly convoluted.
It was pretty simple when it first came out but yeah... it got out of hand again.

beers

Staff member
I was trying to be more subtle :rolleyes:
I didn't want him to miss the opportunity to have the best computer possible. After all, it is his passion.

Curious how the AMD side will react, if X399 has a dual socket variant I'll probably drop a couple g's and be an enormous hypocrite.

Also curious what kind of price gouging the i9 will have since the 6950X was already super inflated.