AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

Darren

Staff member
Where did you find an X370 mobo in stock? I can't find them on Newegg and Amazon.
Newegg, it's already out of stock again. I was totally intending to wait till the 1600X but my financials this month are better than I anticipated and the reviews of the 1700 and overclocking on all 3 being about the same ~4.0GHz I decided to swing it. Sounds like they don't overclock that great so instead of the Taichi I originally wanted I opted for a slightly cheaper board and splurged on the 1700.

This review also all but cemented it for me.

lucasbytegenius

Newegg, it's already out of stock again. I was totally intending to wait till the 1600X but my financials this month are better than I anticipated and the reviews of the 1700 and overclocking on all 3 being about the same ~4.0GHz I decided to swing it. Sounds like they don't overclock that great so instead of the Taichi I originally wanted I opted for a slightly cheaper board and splurged on the 1700.
Just bought the 1700X and the Asus Prime X370 Pro, along with some 2666MHz single-rank RAM and a H110 cooler. Also ordered the free bracket for the H110 from Corsair :D

Super excited.

Darren

Staff member
Just bought the 1700X and the Asus Prime X370 Pro, along with some 2666MHz single-rank RAM and a H110 cooler. Also ordered the free bracket for the H110 from Corsair :D

Super excited.

I've had 3 other friends order Ryzen on launch day and they're all still waiting on stuff to get shipped. Waited 4 days after release date and it looks like I'll get my stuff around the same time. :D Pumped.

I'll be interested to see how our machines stack up, should be pretty darn close.

lucasbytegenius

I've had 3 other friends order Ryzen on launch day and they're all still waiting on stuff to get shipped. Waited 4 days after release date and it looks like I'll get my stuff around the same time. :D Pumped.

I'll be interested to see how our machines stack up, should be pretty darn close.
If RAM speed really does affect Ryzen's speed, I think I'm gonna pull out ahead :p but your board is 12 phase vs my 10 phase, not sure what extent that will affect things for overclocking. At least your power bill will potentially be lower, or maybe worse actually with that 390 vs my 480 :p

Darren

Staff member
I've also seen some pretty serious indications that Ryzen is noticeably smoother framerate in gaming than Intel's offerings. Good video.

Deadpool

I've also seen some pretty serious indications that Ryzen is noticeably smoother framerate in gaming than Intel's offerings. Good video.

The best CPU for $500 that can do it all. That´s pretty accurate. Also true what he said about the 7700K beating the 6900K and no one is crying about it.

Jiniix

Where did you find an X370 mobo in stock? I can't find them on Newegg and Amazon.
Literally all that's holding me back :)

7gyCbprG.png

Expected stock on friday, expected delivery monday/tuesday. Motherboard already have AM3+ mounting, don't have to wait for Noctua to ship me AM4 :)

Jiniix

Can't wait :)
I get to build a few 1700-1800X machines, and in return, I get one for myself. It's like I'm getting paid to have fun :D

Origin Saint

As @beers so eloquently reasoned with me, you can only resist for so long. Ryzen is inevitable :D

I need more Ryzen performance examples under my belt before I consider it fully, but right now my brain wants to wait for Cannonlake and get a new mobo and DDR4 with it.

But if Ryzen holds out well and no issues go down, we'll see lol

Darren

Staff member
I need more Ryzen performance examples under my belt before I consider it fully, but right now my brain wants to wait for Cannonlake and get a new mobo and DDR4 with it.

But if Ryzen holds out well and no issues go down, we'll see lol
If you have any performance review requests let me know. :D

Origin Saint

Will be first benchmark. :D

More seriously, I would want to know this kind of stuff I think:

Total core usage max
Individual core usage max
FPS min / avg

for games like Fallout 4, Witcher III, GTA V, ARMA, etc...

I'm not entirely convinced yet that simply going to a 1700X would give me any performance gain

Darren

Staff member
More seriously, I would want to know this kind of stuff I think:

Total core usage max
Individual core usage max
FPS min / avg

for games like Fallout 4, Witcher III, GTA V, ARMA, etc...

I'm not entirely convinced yet that simply going to a 1700X would give me any performance gain
It honestly probably won't be a huge difference... right now at least. If you're exclusively gaming especially. Give it a year and you'll see much more benefit then and have more viable options from both red and blue camp.

I mean. RYZEN MASTER RACE. :p