AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

StrangleHold

Staff member
From reading this only applies to the headers for the case USB 3.1 ports. Don't know, it doesn't look like the distance from the CPU socket to the motherboard USB 3.1 ports and the boards USB 3.1 headers are all that different. Maybe its a fluke and some cases have cheap USB 3.1 wires to the case ports.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Probably. Not sure how big of an impact that would be though... considering how there's not a lot of devices that use the 3.1 standard right now.

beers

Staff member
Don't know. From my gut I call fake. Being a ROG Crosshair IV. But only has 2 memory slots.
Eh, maybe, although they indicated Impact which is along the lines of the other mini ITX offerings with the same name. Most of them have 2x DIMM slots as well.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Doesn't look bad, considering its 800mhz slower then the i7 4790. Just one test though, who knows.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Is it still on course to Q1 release for 2017?

Skylake-X (replacement to the Broadwell-E) is on course for Q2 2017...

Darren

Staff member
Some leaks seem to suggest that the new SR7 chip will feature 8 cores and 16 threads up to 3.5GHz and performing better than the i7 5960X. MSRP is listed at $499 vs $999 for the 5960X.

If this is even close to true Summit Ridge should be an interesting launch. That's a pretty tall claim though. I'm looking forward to what the SR5 offers as that'll probably be more along the lines of what I can afford. :D

https://www.mobipicker.com/amd-zen-8-core-sr7-flagship-priced-499-powerful-999-intel-i7-5960x/

spirit

Staff member
Some leaks seem to suggest that the new SR7 chip will feature 8 cores and 16 threads up to 3.5GHz and performing better than the i7 5960X. MSRP is listed at $499 vs $999 for the 5960X.

If this is even close to true Summit Ridge should be an interesting launch. That's a pretty tall claim though. I'm looking forward to what the SR5 offers as that'll probably be more along the lines of what I can afford. :D

https://www.mobipicker.com/amd-zen-8-core-sr7-flagship-priced-499-powerful-999-intel-i7-5960x/
Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I have to say, I don't believe for a minute it will perform as well as the 5960X given AMD's track record over the past decade or so, but I could be proved wrong.

Darren

Staff member
Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I have to say, I don't believe for a minute it will perform as well as the 5960X given AMD's track record over the past decade or so, but I could be proved wrong.
I don't really believe that either but if they're even in the ballpark that's an absolutely massive increase from previous offerings. And it's half the MSRP.

spirit

Staff member
I don't really believe that either but if they're even in the ballpark that's an absolutely massive increase from previous offerings. And it's half the MSRP.
Just having something that can rival the i7 or even an i5 would be a massive increase for them.

spirit

Staff member
Hence the SR3, SR5, and SR7 product lines.
Looking forward to seeing how they really perform when the CPUs are released. Maybe AMD can start to represent real value for money again, which they haven't done for a while, or perhaps move away from the 'value' stereotype and more into the 'we are actually rivaling Intel on a performance-basis rather than just a value-basis now' idea (since the Phenoms and Vishera were cheaper than the Intels in their day and performed decently when compared to the equivalent Intel, but only really had value and maybe DDR2 backwards-compatibility going for them).

Darren

Staff member
Looking forward to seeing how they really perform when the CPUs are released. Maybe AMD can start to represent real value for money again, which they haven't done for a while, or perhaps move away from the 'value' stereotype and more into the 'we are actually rivaling Intel on a performance-basis rather than just a value-basis now' idea (since the Phenoms and Vishera were cheaper than the Intels in their day and performed decently when compared to the equivalent Intel, but only really had value and maybe DDR2 backwards-compatibility going for them).
If they want to survive they need to compete on all levels, not just value. This is what killed them in the past few years. From the looks of it they will be.