AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

lucasbytegenius

My prediction is that Ryzen will beat the i7 7700k in CPU intensive tasks like rendering while the 7700k will beat Ryzen in tasks that use up to 4 threads like gaming.
When talking about the 8c/16t Zen CPU
I see no basis for this theory, as there has been almost zero solid information on performance other than some claim of +40% IPC compared to the contruction toys.

Darren

Staff member
I see no basis for this theory, as there has been almost zero solid information on performance other than some claim of +40% IPC compared to the contruction toys.
Well there is a live demo of Ryzen beating the 6900K in a Blender rendering. Yeah it's one benchmark and it's from AMD directly but it's definitely more than vague claims at this point. I updated the OP and there's a link to that.

Calin

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well there is a live demo of Ryzen beating the 6900K in a Blender rendering. Yeah it's one benchmark and it's from AMD directly but it's definitely more than vague claims at this point. I updated the OP and there's a link to that.
Considering how they did demos with the RX480... and how much it "out perform" nvidia's counter part. But the margin ended up not being as big as they claimed for the majority of the stuff.

I think the wise choice would be to wait until it's out to consumers and let people do the testing on a bajillion pieces of software/benchmarks before coming to a conclusion on what to recommend.

Darren

Staff member
Considering how they did demos with the RX480... and how much it "out perform" nvidia's counter part. But the margin ended up not being as big as they claimed for the majority of the stuff.

I think the wise choice would be to wait until it's out to consumers and let people do the testing on a bajillion pieces of software/benchmarks before coming to a conclusion on what to recommend.
I'm totally on board with wait for Benchmarks but kinda hard to argue with a live demo.

lucasbytegenius

Any ideas on how much they're going to cost?
Haven't seen anything about costs, but my personal theory is that they may be slightly less expensive than Intel's offerings. Gotta undercut the competition without screwing themselves over. But again, that's just my personal theory.

beers

Staff member
I believe at one of the presentation articles noted:
PC World said:
Su added that the profit margins for both Ryzen and Vega will be well above AMD’s average.
Which just sounds like inflated pricing to me. I imagine they might undercut by a few dollars but I wouldn't expect a huge price break.

Darren

Staff member
I'm probably going for an R5 1600X. Interesting they have so many, especially since all of them are unlocked. Guessing some of the lower binned/clocked ones will be sold to OEMs only..?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So Ryzen won't even break the 4ghz barrier? If not, I'm really thinking about giving Intel a shot when upgrade time comes, which is sometime this year. Maybe sooner then I think. Thinking about the 7600K.

Darren

Staff member
So Ryzen won't even break the 4ghz barrier? If not, I'm really thinking about giving Intel a shot when upgrade time comes, which is sometime this year. Maybe sooner then I think. Thinking about the 7600K.
Overclocking, yo.

beers

Staff member
Curious how different the lowest binned 8c/16t model will be from the others. They all list the same clock, waiting for the official roundup reviews really.

I'm also curious why the lesser cored variants have a decreased stock clock speed. For all intents and purposes you would have more thermal and electrical headroom with less active cores on the same package..

Jiniix

According to this (OC3D article from today) there's a difference in clock speeds.

7ampwunG.png

Looks quite grim for Denmark. I'm set on the R7 1800X, but it's gonna set me back roughly $768, compared to US price of $490. Feelsbadman
Still cheaper than the i7-6900K at $1150 :D

lucasbytegenius

According to this (OC3D article from today) there's a difference in clock speeds.

7ampwunG.png

Looks quite grim for Denmark. I'm set on the R7 1800X, but it's gonna set me back roughly $768, compared to US price of $490. Feelsbadman
Still cheaper than the i7-6900K at $1150 :D
I am set on the 1700X. Seems like the best bang for the buck in the lineup.

Jiniix

Yeah, I bet that'll be the bestseller. I'm genuinely interested in the price of R5 1400X, as it doesn't appear to be leaked. 4c/8t, should be cheap as dirt :)