speakers fading in and out

robman6962000

I own a computer Harmon Kardon subwoofer with the speakers attached to it, and the music on them fades in and out in strength. For a few seconds the music will be pretty strong and then it'll get really weak. What could be causing this?

Ku-sama

banned
conections on them? check that the connection to the back of the computer is snug.... if not, try it on an alternative port for sound out... like plug headphones into the headphone port on your computer after disconnecting the speakers.... same problem?

robman6962000

I checked all the connections. The plug that extends from the subwoofer has three plugs, one for the headphones port, another for a mike, and a third for a...something. The icon for that port looks something like soundwaves extending from the center. I moved my computer from my old apartment, where the speakers worked just fine. Now I have the speakers on full power and they're belting out about half of what they used to.

Ku-sama

banned
there anything to adjust on it? any control knobs you messed with, maybe its the sound control on your computer, jack up the volume on everything, but keep master at like 75% to prevent dostortion

robman6962000

Ku-sama said:
there anything to adjust on it? any control knobs you messed with, maybe its the sound control on your computer, jack up the volume on everything, but keep master at like 75% to prevent dostortion

Volume is at max, cntr in the middle, bass about middle, treble max, surr middle. I have no further controls unless I use Sonar sound, and if I move the master above 75%, as you said, I get distortion.

Ultra high quality cd's are just tolerable, but with anything less than absolutely kickass production, the volume is absolutely pitiful. Plus there's that fading in and out thing. Could it be a soundcard problem?

robman6962000

Ku-sama said:
duh, stupid me, uninstall and reinstall latest drives and driect x

I just installed the Realtek sound driver the other day. Is that a low quality driver?

I'm looking for direct x now.

Last edited:

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i have a similar problem with my creative 6.1 system at the moment; it appears that the volume control is a bit dodgy

robman6962000

It worked! The fading in and out stopped! The volume is also a helluva lot more like I remember it once being.

Alright, got another one for you: My girlfriend, now ex, messed with some settings to the point that my computer absolutely will not play mp3's or wave files. Got any ideas there?

Ku-sama

banned
update windows media player to 10, if you have it, uninstall it and reinstall it, try to do a virus scan on the files...

robman6962000

No dice, that's only for Windows xp. I have windows 2000. What's Windows Media Endoder?

In any case, I'm not so sure Windows Media Player is the issue. It seems as though pretty much any program whatsoever that wants to play an mp3 or wave file just won't do it. That goes for quicktime, or any shockwave stuff, and even my Acidpro which runs on wave files.

Last edited:

Ku-sama

banned
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo didnt know you where on 2000... well... hmm... to tired to think anymore, ill post tomarrow after my first day of school as a sophmore..... woot?