Successfully built my Computer, well, not really... help!

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay, so I got all my parts for my computer like two weeks ago, but a day Later I went on vacation. I got back yesterday, and put together the computer, with lots of caution and care to every part. When I finished, I powered it all up, the fans went on, leds, and everything. I noticed, the Screen was just blank...... The power was on, because the green led on the bottom of the screen was lit. So i thought maybe it could be the ram, so I tried them in different spots. Nope, So i just put them back to the normal spot. ANd thought the video card was the problem. Remember I have an ATI RADEON 9600PRO. THe little fan on it, was running, I could feel some air comming through. So i turned the computer off, and put in my really old gateways video card that goes in the PCI slot. The moniter turned on, and I was able to succesfully install windows xp corp/professional. Everything runs great and Im loving the gig of ram. BUt I want to know whats going on with the 130$ video card! I was at my friends, and he put my RADEON 96009PRO In his custom built computer, and same problem with him... blank screen. Is the Card dead or what? Is there something I forgot to activate it, or like do I need to installs drivers for it or something to make it readable??

EMO-TOCROSS

ANd than what? Than I power off, and put on the ATI Card? ANd if it works, whats gonna happen? And whats gonna happen if it doesnt work.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ANd than what? Than I power off, and put on the ATI Card? ANd if it works, whats gonna happen? And whats gonna happen if it doesnt work.
If it works then it works. If it doesnt work then it doesnt work ... nothing new :confused:

EMO-TOCROSS

Wait but if it works, I cant run it on failsafe for long tho rite? I'll just have to use my old card untill I buy like a 450W PSU, Is that correct?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Wait but if it works, I cant run it on failsafe for long tho rite? I'll just have to use my old card untill I buy like a 450W PSU, Is that correct?
Failsafe is just a bunch of settings that has nothing to do with the PSU ... 400W should be fine. If the failsafe works then you can start to renable some of the BIOS features until you narrow it down

EMO-TOCROSS

The card clearly does not work. I have tried In my computer, my friends, and in my dads nice dell. Same problem on every single computer. I highly doubt its the power supply, When my computer homes a 400w power supply. And The two other computers diddnt work with it either. The box for it also says it needs a 300w power supply at least, so theres no way. So hopefully, newegg will let me return it, and I will be refunded, or will have a new one sent to me.. But meanwhile, what do you think went wrong with it?

Grimulus

--Send it back!!!---

dude, unless you have like a bunch of LED's and fans all over you machine then a 400watt PS should be PLENTY. I had a 128mb 9800 card hooked up in my old machine for a while before I sent it back to get a 9600 256mb(yes, it runs better than the 9800, the extra 182 made such a difference) and it had a 300w. So i don't think it's you running out of power unless you are running a small air conditioner from your comp, i would send the card back man for sure.

EMO-TOCROSS

yeah I totally agree with you. I just got an email from newegg saying they accepted the problem and I can ship it to them for a replacement. So I will ship tomarrow morning. So you liking your 9600Pro 256?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I had a 128mb 9800 card hooked up in my old machine for a while before I sent it back to get a 9600 256mb(yes, it runs better than the 9800, the extra 182 made such a difference)
I dont have the foggiest how you came up with that..... virtually no 3D application of video cards will see more than a 15% improvement from the extra 128MB of RAM. Factor in the fact that the 9600 only has half the processing pipelines and your comment seems highly 'irregular'.

EMO-TOCROSS

Dude you helped me soo much. I would of ended up buying some Emachines desktop for as much money as I spent, and not have anything as cool and fast as what I have now. not only that, but I learned a bunch load too. I diddnt even know what parts you needed for a computer before I met you! Give yourself a pat on the back ;)