Suggestions for Professional Cameras

The Yawning Horse

I currently own and use a Sony DSC-f828. It takes good pictures, but I know that if I ever get serious about photography I'll need a better camera. Does anyone have suggestions for which professional camera to buy?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I was looking around at some of the SLR camera's and I beleive one from Minolta has the best pictures(though it sold for $1500 :p) But, I used to have a Minolta(little camera) and it did great, so I expect most of them to be good.

Go some place like Steve's Digicam's for the best reviews. That's where I started looking for my new camera :D

Roy Rogers

Professional camera

I retired early, returned to college, and studied Communications, majoring in Photography. I built and operated a photo Lab and studio in Sacramento calif. for 10 years. First, I should mention that Ansel Adams used a vastly inferior camera to those available today in many ways. Lenses are so much better today, computer designed and manufactured. It's not the camera that makes the difference, it's the photographer. Take lots of pictures and have them evaluated by a pro. Next, all name brand cameras are of virtually the same quality. Once you decide on a brand, and it matters little which brand, stick to it. You'll be buying lots of add ons and they will only work with your brand. Once you have a couple of thousand dollars worth of interchangable lenses you are pretty well stuck with that brand. I've won many contests with inferior lenses so don't expect equipment to make you a good photographer. Last, the bigger the negative, the better the picture. Pro's use mostly medium format and again, all major manufacturers make great quality equipment but check the features carefully. Some allow you to use many film sizes depending on which "back" you decide to use. I finally chose a Pentax 645 with the pentax zoom lens. Great for weddings as you can install an "endless" roll of film for massive shooting without reloading.