suse linux

nomav6

I've played around with linux in the past but never installed it, I have two HDD in my computer now, one of them running winXP Pro the other one was just formated back to FAT32, I have the SuSe ISO, and Im ready to install on the second HDD, anyone have any tips?
thanks

nomav6

I unpluged the XP HDD, rebooted, BIOS said there was error trying to boot from the HDD(it has nothing on it so of course its going to see an error trying to boot from it) I press F1 which brung me to the SuSe screen to install it on my HDD, went through the installation then around the end it started with errors, dont remember the errors lol, Im half asleep right now, but it gave me an option to ignore the errors and go on, so I do, then it kicks me back to BIOS, but I get the same error that I got when I tried booting the clean disk, so after some rest Im going to try again, if I get the same error message this time, I'll take note and post it up.

Swifty

Suse linux should be quite easy to install with lack of problems. I have it on the same HDD as Win XP and it installed really smooth for me as I say. If your on a 56k the I would suggest you use an external serial modem as Suse or any linux distro dosen't really like Win modems.

charly

set your bios right !

if you need to install your linux on the other HDD + unplugging your xp drive you have to set your bios to boot from CD(DVD) drive. after linux is done with installation you need to set your boot drive as HDD1 in your bios(depends where you plugged your drive).

ciao

nomav6

did all of the above, but I think the installation cd was incomplete, and thats where the problem is, but not sure, going to try again tomorrow, got to work all day today :(

Christopher

VIP Member
You probably have to set your second hdd as primary by setting the jumpers on the back.

But if your just trying to play safe then theres no need. Put your XP hdd back in, you can tell SuSE to just install on the second hdd. Which version of SuSE are you using? The newest one with YaST2 is sooo easy to install it's amazing. I quite like SuSE :)

nomav6

it is the newest version, installing was easy, but I think there was something wrong with the cd that I was trying to install from because I kept getting error messages that things couldnt be found, so Im going to download another copy and try it out.