System fan (i think) thats suddenly makes annoying sound!

ab3D

Hi! First of all, excuse my bad english =)

Aight, I got Compaq Presario 8000, and here is my problem: When I do something that really needs a lot of work from my computer, like playing a game in pretty high resolution, a loud and noisy system fan all of a sudden starts.

Well at least I think its the system fan. It could be some other fan too, like the cpu-fan for instance. But that doesnt make any sense. I could for instance be rendering images in 3D-programs for hours, processes that demand 100% CPU-power all the time, without hearing that fan.

So my guess is that it is some kind of system fan. All it needs is that the videocard and the cpu becomes a little extra hot (like in the games) and that darn fan will set off. But thats not the real problem...

The real problem is that when the fan sets off, all the game stops for a short time, and I SUDDENLY hear this very loud and scary sound from all of my four speakers (including the subwoofer.... and believe me that scares the hell out of you!!), and then the games go back to normal but you will still have to endure the sound of the fan for another 1-2 minutes. And guess what happens when it has finnished? Yeah, the game will once again stop for a moment and you will hear that extremly annoying sound again. And all of this will happen shortly again.

I really need help over here and wanna now how I can shut this thing off? Is this procedure necessary or is it only compaq that has once again scrued up?

Thanks for all help!

kof2000

THATS cuz your system is heating up and the fan need to spin faster to cooling the cpu better. it will slow down again if you're arent really doing anything again. same thing with the cd burner, the fan will start spinning real load for certain burners and then if it aint reading again it will go quiet.

ab3D

But do you have any idea how I can atleast make that damn sound from the speakers to go away? It comes when the systemfan starts, and it comes once more when the system fan stops (the sound from the speakers that is), and its REALLY annoying :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When I do something that really needs a lot of work from my computer, like playing a game in pretty high resolution, a loud and noisy system fan all of a sudden starts.
Sounds like video fan ... what are the specs

ab3D

Videographs specs.

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB.

But can the fan on the videocard do that? I mean, all my computer halts for 1-2 seconds as I told you. But still, you guys are the experts and Im pretty desperate over here :D