Tell me what you think?

jettypark

Building a computer for the first time! and this is what i came up
1)Hitachi/250GB/7200/8MB/SATA-150 hard drive=$154
2)Intel D915GAVL Socket 775 ATX motherboard and intel pen 4 550 3.4 Ghz and it come with everhthing on it=$428
3) Cpu cooling fan ball bearing/copper core,socket 775=$29
4)Two Kingston 512MB non-ECC,Cl3 PC3200 DDr 400MHz memory=$159
5)BenQ DW1620/16x4x16x DVD+RW/2.4 DVD+R DL/40x24x40 CD-RW/DVD burner=$79
6)LG 16xDVD-Rom 48x CD-Rom drive=$29
7)sony floppy disk drive=$17
8)Silver ATX Mid-tower case with clear side, Front USB & Audio ports and 450 watt power supply=$49.99
9)BenQ FP731/17 inch/1280x1024/25ms/black/LCD monitor=$289
10)Logitech media keyboard=$22
(Total=$1,255) and the software i want is Micsoft Office XP pro=$436 and Micsoft window XP Pro pack 2+$279 let me know what you guys think...Thanks for any infor...and i am trying to make it last for a while :)

jettypark

my bad

yes there is a v card in the motherboard already, just didnt list it....was told that the bigger v card you ran the better....what do you think? ;)

4W4K3

VIP Member
hmm yes the integreated video card will run...solitaire? lol exagerating of course, but alot of even the older games will run pretty bad on the integrated. you will want a PCI/AGP card at least if you want to play better games.

jettypark

Again thanks to all, looking at this motherboard, any other choices? anyone might have also on the v card, how big should i go? thanks again

4W4K3

VIP Member
jettypark said:
Again thanks to all, looking at this motherboard, any other choices? anyone might have also on the v card, how big should i go? thanks again

someone more P4 oriented might be able to give you advice on a diff mobo. I know almost nothing about Intel mobos and the latest and greatest.

What type video games are you planning on playing? This will usually give you a round about selection of video cards, size, speed, all that.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Cpu cooling fan ball bearing/copper core,socket 775=$29
Make and model?

Two Kingston 512MB non-ECC,Cl3 PC3200 DDr 400MHz memory=$159
I presume you mean DDR400? ;)

Silver ATX Mid-tower case with clear side, Front USB & Audio ports and 450 watt power supply=$49.99
Whats the make and model of the power supply?

BenQ FP731/17 inch/1280x1024/25ms/black/LCD monitor=$289
Good price but the 25ms refresh is gonna kill you if you decide to play games.

You don't really need the extra cd-rom and dvd-rom drives...your dvd-r will do all of that.
True but its (in most cases) cheaper to get a dedicated CDRW+DVDROM or combo drive than to get a good DVD burner... now if (s)he needs/wants DVD burning capability than thats a different story

yes there is a v card in the motherboard already, just didnt list it....was told that the bigger v card you ran the better....what do you think?
Intel Graphics 900 will let yo do work ... if you want to play then get a real video card :)

Again thanks to all, looking at this motherboard, any other choices? anyone might have also on the v card, how big should I go? thanks again
Again, what are you using the machine for?

jettypark

sorry for getting back late, gone for the holidays. the unit will be use mostly for work, not many games....bookkeeping and keeping records on little companys...thanks again

jettypark

i was doing this in case i got into other things down the road, then i wouldnt have to add anything later, and also to last more then a few months, you know how you buy something then, and it become old! lol I have a question about the cd/dvd burner, shouldnt you also have another cd/dvd drive. Then burn from one to the other and dont have to put anything on your harddrive, just asking cause i saw that someone said i didnt need it...thanks for any infor

jettypark

also most of the things i am getting. Are coming from tigerdirect, still havent order anything. But i have a few people that have gotten things from them, and they are real happy with them. And from reading everything here, the more the better! so that why i am spending that much, i get tired of waiting for things to pop up, the computer i have now, real slow and i am going to build it up later...but i am real thankful for all the infor you guys and gals have given me......thanks again

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so youre spending near to $2000 on a computer for work and bookkeeping?
Happens all the time.... (have a look at UK prices for instance :p)

lol I have a question about the cd/dvd burner, shouldnt you also have another cd/dvd drive. Then burn from one to the other and dont have to put anything on your harddrive
You shouldnt be doing "on-the-fly" because of the numerous problems and quirks that can arise from doing that kinda stuff but you should have a separate drive because [1] 99.9% of DVDburner suck at doing CD operations and [2] DVDBurners suck at DVDRipping and DataDVD operations :)