temps too high

bebopin64

my cpu will run 50-52 when im playing bf2. is this a bit high? it doesnt seem like i want to start OCing with normal temps this high. I want to get a second opinion tho.

m0nk3ys1ms

bebopin64 said:
my cpu will run 50-52 when im playing bf2. is this a bit high? it doesnt seem like i want to start OCing with normal temps this high. I want to get a second opinion tho.

Your temps are a bit high, are you using the stock cooler, if so, I would invest in a new aftermarket one.

ckfordy

banned
bebopin64 said:

ya your temps are a bit high i have the same processor and i have stock cooling with artic silver 5 and my load temps never go beyond 40c.

bebopin64

im using an aftermarket cooler the gigabyte rocket deal. If I were to change to a new heatsink/fan setup how would I go about cleaning the arctic silver off. and is it safe to work with the cpu still in the socket or should i remove it?

ckfordy

banned
bebopin64 said:
im using an aftermarket cooler the gigabyte rocket deal. If I were to change to a new heatsink/fan setup how would I go about cleaning the arctic silver off. and is it safe to work with the cpu still in the socket or should i remove it?

You should take out the cpu and hold it in your hand and take cotton swabs with rubbing alcohol and remove the artic silver.

Jet

VIP Member
I just keep it in, then I don't have to worry about dropping it. Unless you overdid it with the Arctic Silver, then you're fine with it in.

bebopin64

im always worried im gonna break a pin off if i take it out of the socket. is there a nice safe way i can hold it?

bball4life

Check the airflow in your case, and this is like the 5th thread like this in the past week. They all end with the same suggestions, make sure you have good airflow in your case, all your cables are tucked out of the way, and get a better cooler with as5.

bebopin64

the thing is that my wires are all zip tied neatly out of the way, I have a 120mm intake fan at the bottom front and a 120mm exhaust fan at the back and an 80mm fan on the side blowing on the CPU. And I have a $30 with arctic silver 5 on it, it just seams like something abnormal is happening.

bball4life

Reseat the heatsink, and turn off your 80mm fan, not permanently just see if it makes a difference. I was going to do that on my case I have the same setup as you, except for an 80mm blowhole as well, and when the side fan was on it blocked a lot of the airflow around the cpu, I just use a duct from my side panel now, supplies the cpu with fresh air.

bebopin64

i took the side panel off to look at everything and the rear exhaust fan doesnt do much air moving. my temps did go down 3C with the side panel off though. While the cpu cooler moves a whole lot of air, the fins dont seem at all hot. is this normal? i think if i replace the exhaust fan with a better quality on i might get a couple degrees cooler but that wont help all that much. do you think it would be a good idea to buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103164 ?

bebopin64

i also noticed that turning up the fan has absolutely no effect on my cpu temps. i know its blowing harder but my temps stay the same. i just figured out that if i scroll up and down really fast my cpu temp jumps to 46C.

Last edited:

bball4life

No because cheap watercooling=good air cooling. Its normal for the fins of the heatsink not to get too hot because it means the fan is doing its job. And if your temps when down with the side panel off its means your getting bad airflow with it on. Get nice 120mm fans that are high cfm for your front and rear, about $10 each, and shutoff your 80mm fan on the side just to test.

bebopin64

my intake fan was already a good fan and i moved it to the exhaust hole at the top and the crap case fan to the intake spot and i got a couple degree drop. it still stays in the 38-39C area.

bball4life

bebopin64 said:
my intake fan was already a good fan and i moved it to the exhaust hole at the top and the crap case fan to the intake spot and i got a couple degree drop. it still stays in the 38-39C area.
Then try a new exhaust fan. 38-39c for a cpu is a pretty good range.

bebopin64

that is 38-39 idle it goes to about 53C under load. I did want to overclock too but i dont want my temps getting into the dangerous range.

bball4life

bebopin64 said:
that is 38-39 idle it goes to about 53C under load. I did want to overclock too but i dont want my temps getting into the dangerous range.
That is a little high, just try a better exhaust fan for now, and then tweak with stuff to get the best airflow you can.

bebopin64

even with better exhaust my temps are still just too high. should i try a new heatsink or did i just mess up installing this one?

bball4life

Ya your gonna have to try re-installing it, if it doesn't work, for you I would invest in a cpu cooler that will blow air from the front to back of your case, to help your case air flow and also to be help more by your case airflow.