"The BIOS is not installed"

MightyKing

Hi, I build a new pc, but I'm having problems getting it to work properly... or work at all. First of all, here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800
Hard Drive: Maxtor 120GB
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B ATA Device
SONY DVD RW DW-U10A ATA Device
RAM: 1024 MB
Floppy/Media card reader: Addonics

Well as to what my problem is: "The BIOS is not installed"

The Optical Drives are hooked up to the Secondary IDE
The Hard Drive is hooked up to the Primary IDE (Master)
The 2 RAM cards are in the same color (blue) RAM slots
Floppy is connected perfectly, the media card isnt because i dont have any extra cable.

All are hooked up to the power source (battery).

I'll make this STEP-BY-STEP so it's clear, because it's kinda complicated.

This is BEFORE I installed VISTA Home Premium

1) I start my computer

0709120510aa1.jpg

2) Next screen

0709120524kp3.jpg

3) Next screen

0709120540oe3.jpg

If you press the numbers 1-3 it shows nothing, but when you press on number 0, it says:

"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restar"

4) This screen is after i press Ctrl+Alt+Del

-- PC restarts:

0709120510aa1.jpg

-- Then it shows this screen :

0709120657qq4.jpg

It says: "FastTrak 378 (tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.37
(c) 2003 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.

No drive attached to FastTrak controller, The BIOS is not installed."

5) Lastly it takes me back to:

0709120540oe3.jpg

Any ideas as to why this happens?

Then I installed VISTA... [To Be Continued]

MightyKing

Ok, now to the part where VISTA is installed.

Since I couldn't do anything, i figured I would reinstall the OS.

Upon Setup (f1) I choose to have the DVD to be read first in the booting of the system. (Floppy 2nd and Hard Drive 3rd)

1) Initial window

2)Window says:

"FastTrak 378 (tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.37
(c) 2003 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.

No drive attached to FastTrak controller, The BIOS is not installed."

3) Window says:

"Sil 3112A SATALink Host Controller BIOS Version 4.2.10
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.

Primary Channel: Driver not found
Secondary Channel: Driver not found

4) Then the screen kinda turns off twice and loads Vista.

Obviously the problem isn't fixed, right?

What do I do??:confused::confused:

hNic

If vista loads then first thing u should do it go to ur mobo's manufacturer website and get the latest BIOS version and flash the BIOS and see if that corrects it

MightyKing

Hi, well even if i were to find the correct download, how will i be able to put it on my other pc? Beacuse I'm currently using an older pc to write these posts.

And to clear it up, the vista i installed in the pc im having problems with, works fine up to the point where i log in. It asks me to activate it, and since i cant (since its installed and under use on this pc) it logs me out; hence, i cant access even the desktop. How will the download work?

MightyKing

Alright, i see the step by step instructions, ill get back at you when im done understanding such a complex thing haha.

Btw, is the first step "Please insert a clean, unformatted disk into A:\ drive and boot the system into DOS mode"

clean disk into A:\ drive, is that the floppy? because my A drive is the floppy, does that mean i need to insert a clean floppy?

And how do i boot into DOS mode?

I gotta leave for a while now, I'll do this as soon as i can , THANK YOU for the help so far.:D

hNic

sorry was away for a bit...but you got the answers you needed....and glad i could help hopefully it's the solution...i can't think of much else to try beyond wut i suggested

MightyKing

Ok, a couple of questions, this is too advanced for me sorry:

1)

"place the bundled M/B support CD into the optical drive"

--- huh?

2)
"Copy AFUDOS.EXE (unzipped) onto your boot disk"

--- floppy right?

3)
"2. After BIOS refreshing is complete, the utility will return to DOS prompt (as shown in the figure below), please take out the floppy disk and reboot the system to enter the BIOS Menu. "

--- After i reboot the system, how do i enter the BIOS Menu?

4)
"Use built-in EZ Flash BIOS to Refresh"

--- What is EZ Flash BIOS, and how do i use it, and when?

5)
"1. Download latest ASUS BIOS from ASUS WWW and rename the BIOS filename to "xxxxx.ROM" (xxxxx represents the motherboard model you used, eg. P4C800 BIOS is named p4c800.ROM), and save the file in a floppy disk."

--- I downloaded a BIOS, and its called p4cb1016.zip, do i rename that to p4c800.ROM? (P4C800 is my motherboard) (Do i extract the .zip file then rename it?) (I can save that .ROM file into the floppy? the same floppy i used from the beginning?)

6)
"When the system is at POST after reboot"

--- When is this?

7)
"You may start executing EZ Flash utility"

--- How?

8)
" 1. Download latest ASUS BIOS from ASUS WWW and rename the BIOS filename to "xxxxx.ROM" (xxxxx represents the motherboard model you used, eg. P4C800 BIOS is named p4c800.ROM), and save the file in a floppy disk.

2. Reboot the system.

3. When the system is at POST after reboot, please hold down "Alt" + "F2" to view the following image. You may start executing EZ Flash utility. Please place the floppy disk with latest BIOS inside and insert into the floppy drive."

--- Now, to this part; It says i should rename the BIOS file to p4c800.ROM and save it into the floppy disk, this means the floppy is inside the PC.

--- I then reboot the system, but do i take out the floppy disk?

--- Step 3 says that i should hold down Alt + F2 and execute EZ Flash utility, then it says to place floppy disk inside drive, meaning i had to take floppy out when pc restarted right?

Im sorry if this is asking too much, its just I don't know much about this, first time I've done it and its too complex for me without a guide. Thank you.:eek::D