The laptop fan became so loud.

ANNR

when i first got the toshiba laptop for my brother it was so quite but now it is so loud for some reason.

Usely the fan became loud like every other 5 mins and all other times you can't even hear it. But now the fan is loud all the time.

I download the cd/dvd drive silencer sofware from toshiba site and install it but the result is sitll the same.

Does anybody know what is wrong with the laptop? anybody know how i can get the fan to be quite?

Thanks

Archangel

VIP Member
by the sound of it.. there is much dust/dirt in the CPU heatsink. so it cant get rid of the heat very good, meaning it pushes the Fan to max speed in order to loose heat ( could you tell me the CPU temperature? and what CPU it is ofcourse )
anyway.,.. you might have to clean the heatsink :)

Edit: Yay.. post no2000 :)

thealmightyone

Exactly what I was thinking. An in-built fan controller, speed dependent on the temperature of the processor. Take the bottom off, and use some cotton-wool ear-bud thingys/tissue, and blow repeatedly.

Last edited:

ANNR

I also noticed that the laptop is very hot lately. on the right side of the keypad is always hot. On the botton i can also see the fan and there are alot of dust on it. I will try to see if i can get it the bottom off and clean it.

it is a celeron M CPU. Normaly what should the temp be around?

will speed fan be able to tell the temp of my CPU? or is there a better program that i cna use.

thanks