"The Local Policy Of This System Does Not Permit You To Log On Interactivily" D:

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by Feuerfrei.x, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Feuerfrei.x

Feuerfrei.x New Member

So I'm fixing a laptop (an old Toshiba Qomiso.. or however you spell it...) running on Windows XP Media Center for a customer,

All is going fine - was a bit annoying installing drivers but after a while it went fine.

i then went on to update the system as you do, using a Wired Internet Connection as at the time the Wireless driver was messing up (although that is sorted now)

It is not networked in the slightest as it is a customers computer. When the updates installed I restarted the computer as per nessisary!

It was then I turned on the computer - clicked the main account to log on, when the message "The Local Policy Of This System Does Not Permit You To Log On Interactivily" appeared. I researched into the message as you do, only to find that EVERY SINGLE solution out there was for a network or client/ server setup.

Therefore, I cannot do ANYTHING. All the solutions out there on the "interwebz" are competly useless - it either says to log onto the admin server to change settings or to go on Control Panel to change the permissions. I can do neither - I do not have access to anything at all on the computer, only the log on screen, even on safe mode or any other mode.

So, I am asking you, with all the kindness in my dear heart, WHAT ON EARTH DO I BLOODY DO -.-'

Background Knowledge: The COmputer originally came in with issues as two 60GB HDD's were RAIDed together and one of them had failed, leaving the BIOS confused and Windows corrupt.
    It took about a week to even unraid the two hardrives as they.. .well I just wanted to take a hammer to them by the end of it.

Also, I know I could re-install Windows, but due to it being a XP Media Center machine, it takes 4 CD's for it to install properly and drivers in tow could take hours.

Any help would be so helpful

Thanks

Holly

2. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried logging in as Administrator or in safe mode?

3. Feuerfrei.x

Feuerfrei.x New Member

Yes, I have, it was the first thing that i did, even then the error message comes up :/

4. Cromewell

Couple of potential solutions (shamelessly stolen from techrepublic), hopefully you haven't tried them yet and one works :)

1. You can use the resource kit tool, Ntrights.exe, to change the local logon rights. For example, you could run this command: ntrights -m \\ProblemComputer -u Administrator +r SeInteractiveLogonRight.
    2. You can open a command prompt from another computer on the same network, issue the command Net use x: \\ProblemComputer\C$ <Password> /u:Administrator, and then change to the directory %SystemRoot%\Security\Database. Rename Secedit.sdb to Secedit.old_sdb and copy a working version of a Secedit.sdb file from another computer running the same operating system (for example, Windows 2000 Professional).

For either of these you don't need a client/server setup, just a second machine connected to the same network (ie your home switch)

5. Feuerfrei.x

Feuerfrei.x New Member

We are not normally allowed to network customers computers at all due to risks, but I will tell my work colleuges to try it out,

I will get back to you if it doesnt work

Thankyou

EDIT: Wih this resource tool kit thing, what actually is it? Do you boot it up as something or use the program on another computer networked to this pain-in-the-ass laptop?

6. Cromewell

You run it remotely, it basically changes the remote (or local depending on how you run it) systems registry. It's part of the windows 2000 and 2003 resource kit. I don't know if you can download it individually.