Thinking of Installing WinXP over WIN98

WeZt

Hi i currently have WIndows 98 Second Edition along with Numerous stuff(files and whatnot) i would like to keep when i go over to XP...can this be done!?

can i simply pop in the XP software cd and install it keeping everything on my hd!?

because iw ould like to keep about 2gigs of various folders and software that i am currently using on win98. however i would like to use the winxp interface.

is this possible without backing up all my stuff on cds....formatting my entire hd....then installing xp...and spending countless hours of installing stuff from my cds!?

thanks in advance!

prodigio2k

yes you can, when you pop in your winxp setup CD, just choose "upgrade" instead of "full". and take it from there

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless it's an ideal thing to make a backup of your files manually beforehand eithe rby making a separate partition and keepin them there or burning them to or whatnot ...using the 'upgrade' method will prolly work but has the potential to cause some problems with existing proggies :)

WeZt

thanks guys, what i will do is just uninstall all the programs i don't need..and install winxp on a relatively empty system!

i was thinking of doing a partition and putting all the files i wanted to save on there, but simply cleaning up my current Hd and upgrading seems to be an easy way out :D

thanks again