trouble with os

nismo

i just got my computer ready for my os to be put on and it started from the cd the first time but now it wont even boot to any cd. the first time i put the os in it stopped, so i decided to try again today. but now it wont even read the cd. is there a way to reset or something?
im just confused b/c i have never put an os on a new computer without an os on it already and thought it would be the same.

nismo

yes i have, that is why it booted to the cd the first time but now it wont
the only thing that happens is there is a little blinking "_" up in the corner. then nothing happens even after i put the cd in

Ultravis

Have a go at pressing lots of keys during the blinking _ . Also, make sure that everything is attached firmly in your computer. e.g. hard disks, video card, cd-rom.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
did you buy the os or burned it from a .iso image. I burned a .iso image of windows xp once and the first time I just got a blinking thing when I tryed booting from it. I reburned it and it worked fine the secound time.

if you bought it make sure you bought a full version not the upgrade version.

PS: my school offer the .iso file to all computer science students they have a deal with microsoft so it was perfectly legal for me to do this.

nismo

yeah mine is burned but its my brothers and its a legal copy b/c of his job
i have loaded it many times on my other computer(i took it apart otherwise i would see if it works on that one)

KillermilleR

did u try to boot another pc with the cd...if it dosen't work then the boot cd is faulty.....may wrong iso image or sumem....of it does, then u may want to try swaping drives and see if that works, check to hear your cd rom spinning up at booting, this is to make sure it has power amoung other things!!!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
mgoldb2 said:
PS: my school offer the .iso file to all computer science students they have a deal with microsoft so it was perfectly legal for me to do this.

ahh yes the power of going to a school that is a Microsoft Certified Partner. I have about $3500 USD worth of software legaly bought for about $400.

nismo said:
yeah mine is burned but its my brothers and its a legal copy b/c of his job
i have loaded it many times on my other computer(i took it apart otherwise i would see if it works on that one)

..right.... its legal for him to use it, but not you.

Anyway.. You might not have made that CD bootable when you were putting the ISO files onto it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ahh yes the power of going to a school that is a Microsoft Certified Partner. I have about $3500 USD worth of software legaly bought for about $400.
Heehee i know that feeling :p