trying to install winXP on the other hard drive...

Fure6

i agreed to fix my friends computer (i'll try to post a link to the other thread i made about it) but i formatted the hard drive and it's connected to my computer ready to get winXP on the system. I insert the disc and click install. Then, i try to choose where i want the installation to install. i put "G:\windows" becuase it already had "\windows" in the box. but then i press next and it says that i dont' have enough space on the hard drive "C" to go through with the installation.

what's going on?

computerdude2004

You can only install the OS to the master drive, not a slave drive. It sounds like you made your friends drive a slave drive and hooked it up to the same IDE cable as your master drive. Also, make sure the drive has the correct formatting. Make sure that the drive has NTFS set as the file structure for the format.

manix

banned
oh u have 2 wipe the hard drive i remember u poast take ur hard drive out and then put his in then boot from cd then it will ask if u want 2 clean the drive

computerdude2004

You don't have to wipe the hdd, just make sure the file system is correct. Make sure it has a NTFS file system. You can install XP over XP. Also, make sure his hdd is set as the master hdd. You can't install the OS to a slave drive.

Fure6

it's set at master drive, but connected as slave drive. If i put it to master, won't it not let my computer to start up b/c it the drive doesn't have anything on it? my winXP disc can't boot from start up for some reason. i did have a winME disc that would boot from restarting the computer, but i lost it.

and yes, the blank hard drive is the same format that winXP has. You actually don't have to convert the drive from fat32 to NTFS if you update. winXP has this option if you run msdos alot and/or any of the older OS like 98, winME, ect.

computerdude2004

You need to have the drive set as a master drive and plugged into the master plug on the IDE cable. Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from a CD before the hdd and then stick the XP CD in and it should boot from the XP CD before it tries to boot from the hdd.

computerdude2004

What does your post say? You take the XP cd out of the drive when you are done installing XP so it doesn't try to boot from the XP cd.

Fure6

computerdude2004 said:
Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from a CD before the hdd and then stick the XP CD in and it should boot from the XP CD before it tries to boot from the hdd.

can you do like a step-by-step kind of dealie here? sorry, i haven't done anything in BIOS and don't even know how to freaking get into it. :(

computerdude2004

No. You can look up your computer model number or motherboard model on the internet to tell you how to get into the BIOS, but most motherboards use the Delete, Escape, or F1 through F10 as a key to get into the BIOS. It is one of those keys. Most likely F1 through F7. F8 will let you choose the way you want to start your OS, Safe Mode, or Normal. You hit those keys several times as your computer boots because you don't know what screen it will actually take the command. Somehow you need to tell the BIOS to boot from the CD before the hdd or every time it will boot from the hdd and you won't be able to install the OS.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I insert the disc and click install
Install from boottime.

You can only install the OS to the master drive, not a slave drive
Not true. You can install the OS wherever the hell you like. As long as the drive is supported at boottime, the installatioon is supported.

oh u have 2 wipe the hard drive
You dont *have* to. Its highly reccomended but not a neccessity

You can install XP over XP.
Indeed but thats not something fully reccomended as it not-always-works-so-well :)

You can't install the OS to a slave drive.
Quit sayin that :p

You take the XP cd out of the drive when you are done installing XP so it doesn't try to boot from the XP cd
Not neccessary. When it "tries to boot from the CD" it tells you "Press any key to enter setup" ... well ... just dont press anything.

can you do like a step-by-step kind of dealie here? sorry, I haven't done anything in BIOS and don't even know how to freaking get into it
You might be in luck as some OEM bioses try to boot off the CD first anyways. Other than that, look around (and check for manuals etc)

Fure6

nobody has any websites that say how to for diffrent kinds of computers? hmmm...i guess i can search around.