"Unmountable_boot_volume" - WinXP terror

flashforce

First off, there's nothing about this problem on the internet. I need someone with brains who knows how stupid WinXP is.

1. All info talks about using your Winxp CD to get rid of this prob. Well I was stupid enough to buy a PC without such a CD. So I'm stuck.

2. I found a page which says that in this case, I should download the Winxp boot disk on floppy disks and try it this way. I did so but I don't even get to using the floppy disks.

3. I start my PC, then hit "del" or "esc" and I arrive at a page where I can choose between various modes: safe mode, safe mode with dos prompt, etc...

4. When I choose any of these, the page "Unmountable_boot_volume" appears again.

5. I hope this doesn't mean I have to throw away my PC and loose all my data. I refuse to make Bill Gates a billionnaire when he sells me crap. I want my money back.

Is there anyone out there who can help me fight this problem? Thx.

Sacrinyellow5

You'll have to go into you Bios and change around the order that the drives boot. It sounds like a different drive is booting up first. I had this problem a while back as well...

OvenMaster

VIP Member
You're not the only one stupid enough to buy a PC without a full XP disc. My emachines junkbox only has restore discs with Norton Ghost images on it, so when I eventually will need to reinstall everything, I'll have to revert my hardware back to what it was when the discs were made! What a PITA! I really should break down and get an OEM XP SP1 disc before it's too late; I cant use SP2 due to software issues.
Tom

Clutch

banned
Ah, I had that problem one time with my parents computer.

What you need to do is make that hard drive a slave, and put it in your computer, then proceed to run Scandisk and let it fix the errors.

It should work after that.