Upgrading my old computer

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I have an old athlon 850mhz computer. I looking to upgrade it a bit. I plan to run lynics on it. I will pretty much just use it to get to learn lynics. to use openoffice, webpage design, c++, java programming and other school and work function. NO GAMES will be played on it. I have a new computer am building that will be for gamming.

I tryed upgrading the ram a couple years ago but it would not take the new ram. It would crash as soon as it entered windows. I can use just the new ram or just the old ram and it works fine but not togeather. They both sd100 but different manufactors.

I wanted to know what is the most powerful cpu that would work on the old moutherboard.

budget is $200-300 I rather keep it closer to 200.

feel free to give any recomendation on upgrading it.

the graphic card in it is a geforce fx 5200 pci. I have no need to upgrade this since this computer will not be used to play games at all.

cpu.bmp

mainboard.bmp

memory.bmp

Last edited:

Blade

ok that doesnt help at all, when it doesnt recognise your mobo..so...see if anything is written on the borad

4W4K3

VIP Member
mgoldb2 said:
A whole week and not one useful responce?

If you "bump" your thread every so often it is bound to get answered. Like now:)

http://www.alancomputech.com/5185-0417.html
^That is said mobo correct?

What HP computer model # is it? Should be like Pavilion ####C or xl###, xp### or something. Once you figure that out i can help you more.

Depending on BIOS i think you can run a 1GHz T-Bird (if you an find one.) not 100% sure on that though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ok that doesnt help at all, when it doesnt recognise your mobo
1. Ït helps plenty (more so than I could say for a bunch of posts).
2. You dont need to know the mobo, you need to know the chipset

A whole week and not one useful responce?
I had exams.

I believe 1GHz T-bird is your final answer for max supported CPU by your mobo
I dont see why a 1.4Ghz Tbird wouldnt be supported? (of course its prolly not worth ti either way but still)