upgrading

XMarineX

Looknig to upgrade so i can run HL2 on my system. Which would be a better upgrade RAM or CPU? And if i do upgrade RAM would it add it to my existing RAM or would it replace it, same for CPU. also where can i find good cheap prices on em. thanx

Greg J.

VIP Member
What?

What are your system specs? If your processor is at or above 2 Ghz, then you'll be okay. If your ram is 512MB or less, get more ram that is compatible with your motherboard (perhaps 1 GB.)

XMarineX

Yea i got 2.2 processor but how do i check my motherboard to see how much it can hold. also if i have 512 mbram adn tehn buy lets say corsair 512 mb ram would it add it to my existing or replace it complelty?

4W4K3

VIP Member
if you have room for another stick it will add to it. if you're alrady using all your ram banks you have to replace it.

joelkyr

From your previous post, you have a Dimension 2400, which has 2 memory slots/1gig capacity, and runs on DDR266/333. Your CPU can be upgraded up to P4 3.06

4W4K3

VIP Member
XMarineX said:
and i'll stick with the 9800 pro
i kno its not much but its better than wut i had before.

no way dude that card packs a punch...its a great card. one of the most popular too i believe. you cant go wrong with that card from what i've seen.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Course for the price of the 9800Pro i think that puts you in the price ballpark of the 6800 ... worth a look for sure.

As for the RAM/CPU, everything checks out.

bennos

Don't knock the 9800Pro!

I very recently upgraded from a 9200SE to a 9800Pro specifically for Doom 3. Though it is not the most expensive or most powerful, for the price its a bloody good card. Slices through Doom 3 beautifully.

My only problem is I need to double my RAM (512Mb at the moment) for faster loading time and hopefully stop the pauses as doors open in the game.

My system is P4 @ 3.0GHz / 512Mb / 9800Pro

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Who said anything about knocking the 9800Pro??? Its simple economics: the 5900XT for significantly less money at not much a performance differnce or the 6800 for a bit more for sigificantly more performance -- if the 5900/6800s werent so damn cheap it wouldnt be a problem at all to reccomend the 9800Pro