Upgrading

ak_hitman_47

First off I'm asking a series of questions about various upgrades for my current computer. So if I am posting in the wrong thread I am sincerly sorry. Anyways I have looking at somethings I would like to put into my computer to make it a better gaming computer than it currently is. So this are some things I was considering putting into my computer:

1) A new graphics card. Sapphire ATI RADEON X800 XT

2) A new processor.Intel Pentium 4 EE/ 3.46 GHz Extreme Edition

3) More ram. I have a total of 4 slots and 2 are free

but (Here comes my question) I was told by a friend that I put better parts than 1 and 2 and get them for cheaper so this is what he told me

1) Graphics Card-ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

2) Processor-AMD Athlon 64 FX-53

Well I don't really know anything about amd or nVidia... I have always been a Ati and Intel person but name brands mean nothing to me. My current graphics card is an nVidia and its a little old but I still love it. All help is appreciated. Thanks. Also please no noob responses like "Get nVidia cause they are cool and I got one" or "Ati cause thats what VALVe recommends." I just want pure solid facts. Thanks.

computerdude2004

I am not so sure about the video cards. There was a thread in the video card section comparing the two. You should see if you can find it.

The processors, I would go with the Intel, because I like Intel. The AMD processor will allow you to process 64 bit applications and the Intel processor won't. The AMD processor also isn't as many Ghz as the Intel processor. I think the Intel processor has a larger cache, as it is an EE processor.

Here is that thread -

http://computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=4470

http://computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=4405

Last edited:

Echo_

um unless your buying a new mobo you can only use an intel if you have a a board compatible witht that intel or amd if it is a 939 board

computerdude2004

Not only should you make sure that your MOBO can handle an AMD processor if you have an Intel procossor, you should check to make sure that your MOBO can handle the faster AGP speed of those video cards.

ak_hitman_47

cbr900son said:
is this for gaming or work related?
Gaming.
computerdude2004 said:
Not only should you make sure that your MOBO can handle an AMD processor if you have an Intel procossor, you should check to make sure that your MOBO can handle the faster AGP speed of those video cards.
Already checked and it can handle both graphic cards...

4W4K3

VIP Member
How are you going to run an AMD processor OR an Intel, on the same mobo? You would have to run a diff mobo if you chose the AMD (since you have an Intel one already) and that is also considered an "upgrade". i'm only saying this as you failed to mention a mobo, and that's a key factor.

Rambo

Yes, you either have one motherboard for Intel or one for AMD. And in your list above, it doesn't say you wan't a new motherboard. So, that means that you can only have an Intel processor.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you either have one motherboard for Intel or one for AMD
OBVIOUSLY but that nullifies the point of speccing out one system :)

So, that means that you can only have an Intel processor.
if you look at the current config that could be a S478 processor -- meaning he'd have to buy a new S775 mobo anyways ... so AMD/Intel is still a decison to be made :)