USB 2.0 causes system Lockup during file transfer

sly1171

I recently purchased a Seagate 120GB USB 2.0 hard drive that I intended to use as a dyname storage medium, but I notice that everytime I try to transfer large files or a large number of files at the same time, my system locks up and only a reboot allows me to recover.
I am using a Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Controller to connect the device to my machine and I've already tried installing the latest drivers supplied by Belkin. Does anyone have an idea what might be the likely cause of this issue? Is it the card, the drive, or an id10t error on my part?

blacktop89

i can only think of two things. one, the usb card it actually physically damaged somehow. if that's the case, no matter how many times you install the drivers, it's not going to work. the second, if you're running a windows OS, i think that microsoft has some type of patch on their update site that deals with usb ports. you may want to check that out to see if that applies to your situation.

sly1171

I am running Windows XP SP1 with the Microsoft Patch for USB 2.0
The card is fine. I verified that by installing it on another machine. When I hooked the drive to that machine it worked perfectly. I also tried buying another card with a different chipset (the first card used the NEC chipset, the second the ALi chipset)
Same results on both and both work fine in other machines.
I think it may be that I simply have too many devices in my machine. I have a PCI ATA controller with three devices attached to it, not to mention the other four devices attached to the original on-board HD controller. I'm using a 500 Watt powersupply, so I don't think it's a power thing, besides, the drive is self powered. I'm thinking it's a problem with a shared IRQ. The issue is not one that would cause the drive not to be recognized, but because it's shared, the write requests are interrupted to much.
Any thoughts?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
To verify shared IRQ, try removing all the non-basic stuff and see if the drive works :) Then start adding stuff back