USB scanner doesn't work

tchtch

I think this is a common problem on older systems like mine with Windows 98 SE. My new BenQ scanner worked when first hooked up but now won't scan and gives me a code number. I've read links from other users with different types of scanners have this problem that may be linked to the Twain 32 file. Can you help me get my scanner working again?

tchtch

Thanks for your reply. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the scanner several times, unplugged other USB devices since one suggestion was there might be a conflict at the USB ports and checked for problem in device manager without success.

tchtch

I've gone to the HP and Intel websites and downloaded and installed the latest drivers to no effect. The BenQ scanner application actually opens but a code pops up and the device won't scan. Visits and emails to the manufacturer's website have not resulted in the code definition.

tchtch

This code pops up when I click on the shortcut [fff:0024]. If I unplug the scanner from the USB port I get a code [ffff:0061] and the explanation 'scanner not found'. No explanation is offered with the first code.