Using T.V. as a monitor

compu-geek

just hooked up my computer to my t.v. (about 34 inches.) and it doesnt look too good. there is a black border around the screen, and the quality is poor.

i have a GeForce4, i tried using high and low resolution, and i was wondering how to get a clear image?

would it look better on a smaller tv? (20 inch)

Rick G

Yes it would but remember you are going from a digital high definition screen to a tv that can only handle about 460 lines of horizontal resolution. So if you used a 20" the lines would be closer together.

tommy8748

They make graphic cards that go from your computer to a t.v. but I think that they are mainly used for DVD playing from the computer to the t.v. and the card is a "Radeon 9800 pro 256 some other ones to but i don't know the names :mad:

I also previously saw a plasma t.v. specialy made for computers it was around $4,000.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i have a GeForce4, I tried using high and low resolution, and I was wondering how to get a clear image?
Since you are using a TV dont expect "clear" because of low-res and high-d.p

72montecarlo

Most televisions unless your talking about high definition plasma screens have a native resolution of 640 by 480, soo dont expect high picture quality. If you play dvd's from the computer or even some low quality videos from a computer they seem much clearer on the television.

72montecarlo

yeah either 640x480 or 800x600 depending on the size of the television screen, but whether its one or the other quality will still be sacraficed.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely but evenw ith HiDef TVs it's not a fair comparison to computer displays because you're looking at it 10 feet away .... now if you put them both next to each other at say 5 feet you'd see all the individual pixels on the TV .... LOL :p