very very slow

hi there
i'm new here, so i'll appreciate a quick impressive answer!
lol
i've bought a new D925XBC and a new DDR2 1G, to match my new PX7800GT,after i've fixed everything together when i press the on butten, the fans start working, but not after 10-15 sec's the screen comes to life...
the (very big) problem is, the computer is very slow!!!
i tried a new clean install on a formated drive, but still it's very slow

it could be an overheat problem, but how can i verify that,and if so how can i fix the problem?

Kornowski

VIP Member
So, you've got:

D925XBC Intel Board
1GB DDR2 RAM
7800GT

What processor do you have?
Is it a lot slower than the system you had before?

i've got a intel pentium 4 3600 ghz

and what do you mean by:
"Is it a lot slower than the system you had before?"

my previos processor was 2.4 ghz...

but it's not that kind of slow,i'm talking reeeal slow

oscaryu1

VIP Member
sluggish? well try another HDD, go to CMOS and check temps, reapply thermal paste, what OS are you using? is it genuine?

wow thx for the replays!

what do you mean by sluggish?
as for the HDD i have a SATA WD 80GB and checked it to be with no errors

"go to CMOS and check temps, reapply thermal paste"
i'm not so sure i got this...

i'm using a windows XP and of course it's genuine...

i've got a kingston 1g 667mhz ddr2 cl5

"It's overheating and throttling itself"

i also did'nt get this part

ceewi1

VIP Member
As the computer is beginning to start up, push the Del key to get into the BIOS. One of the menus should be called PC Health Status or Hardware Monitoring, or something similar. Go into this menu and you should see your current CPU temperature displayed. Tell us what that is.

As for reapplying thermal paste, its a useful step to try if your temperatures are too high (you should also ensure that the heatsink is positioned correctly). Basically, it involves removing the heatsink from the CPU, cleaning the existing thermal paste off both the heatsink and CPU and applying a fresh layer of thermal paste (use about the equivalent of a grain and a half of rice).

i'll let you know about my CPU temperature later
cuz i'm installing now some windows updates and it's very slow...

as for the following...i'm realy sorry but i did'nt understand a word:

"As for reapplying thermal paste, its a useful step to try if your temperatures are too high (you should also ensure that the heatsink is positioned correctly). Basically, it involves removing the heatsink from the CPU, cleaning the existing thermal paste off both the heatsink and CPU and applying a fresh layer of thermal paste (use about the equivalent of a grain and a half of rice)."

if it can help, i also have a very high cpu usage around 100% mostly

Last edited:

Vipernitrox

thermal paste is the sticky stuff between your cpu and the heatsink/fan that is on top of the cpu to cool it. It's usefull to change it sometimes as it gets dirty, is badly applied or just not applied at all. You changed your cpu right? Did you put on some white sticky stuff in between the cpu and the heatsink/fan?

thermal paste is the sticky stuff between your cpu and the heatsink/fan that is on top of the cpu to cool it. It's usefull to change it sometimes as it gets dirty, is badly applied or just not applied at all. You changed your cpu right? Did you put on some white sticky stuff in between the cpu and the heatsink/fan?

it is new
and i nerver heard of\see what your talking about,
i have fans and under are a squares grey metals.
so, where exactly is this "paste"?

Kornowski

VIP Member
The paste just helps to seperate some of the heat from the CPU to the heat sink and fan.

It's normally a grey colour.

OK so i've checked. and there is some "gray sticky stuff".
now, how do i know if theres enough, if it's good, if i need to change it.
and if i do need to change it, how do i do that?!
and by the way, is it normal that the screen only turns on after 10 or so sec's?
i think it might be the key to the problem

Last edited:

Vipernitrox

if its still sticky and not rock hard it's probably good. And you just need a little bit. a little layer over the bottom of your heatsink is enough.

well,is a bit sticky, but not much.
you think it's good enough?
anyway, what do you think about the screen?

after i closed the case, and pressed on the comp, made 4 beeps, one high one low one high one low, then after a few times ,said, that due to overheating the comp has shut down.

heyman421

banned
you probably just killed your cpu, man

did you even check the temps before you started messing with the heatsink? Maybe the fan just needed turned up, or maybe it was something completely different.

That's not for the inexperienced. If that sink's not seated right, your cpu will be DONE.

thx for the warm words mate
anyway it's up and running again,but still very slow...
anything?